'Good' Annual This Year

Old July 23rd 03, 02:24 PM
Dennis O'Connor

That is the key point of information... Time to start shopping for a new
mechanic...
Denny
"Jeff" wrote in message ...
They also charged me 35$ to put in in my tires.

Old July 23rd 03, 02:33 PM
Jay Masino

Jeff wrote:
damn, my shop charges $1100 for the inspection alone. then its like 65$ an hour
to fix the gigs. My annual 2 months ago was $5000.00 on my Turbo Arrow III, most
was in parts and labor for the gear and some seals in the engine that needed
replaced. They also charged me 35$ to put in in my tires.

$1100 doesn't seem unreasonable for the inspection of a Turbo Arrow. $65
per hour also isn't that unreasonable, if you consider what a lot of auto
shops charge per hour. And finally, $35 to install tires isn't that bad.
It probably has a lot to do with what area of the country you live in.

-- Jay

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old July 23rd 03, 05:44 PM
Peter R.

Hankal ) wrote:

Another couple of those, and it will make up for that first $4900.00 one!

My first one was $14,380.00
This year it was $400.00
Of course a different shop

Lessie, based on my calculations, you need about 15 more years of $400.00
annuals to make up for that $14,380 one. Wow, now that's an annual.

--
Peter

Old July 23rd 03, 06:05 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Hankal wrote:
Another couple of those, and it will make up for that first $4900.00 one!

My first one was $14,380.00

Was this something major overlooked by the pre-buy, or did you knowingly
buy a fixer-upper?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old July 23rd 03, 08:40 PM
Michael

"Jeff" wrote
They also charged me 35$ to put in in my tires.

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote
That is the key point of information... Time to start shopping for a new
mechanic...

I don't think that's true at all. $35 to install tires is quite a
reasonable labor charge. Of course the owner can legally do it
himself - but not every owner wants to.

A proper annual on a complex airplane is going to cost $5000 if you
drop off the keys and the checkbook. My PA-30 needs 50-100 hours at
annual to open everything up, go up on jacks, do a proper inspection,
repair all the minor discrepancies that inevitably come up, comply
with the recurrent AD's, and button it up again. I can't see that it
would be much less for a Turbo Arrow.

I don't pay near that much because I do most of that 50-100 hours
myself, but that's not something everyone wants to do.

Michael
Old July 24th 03, 12:47 AM
Hankal

annuals to make up for that $14,380 one. Wow, now that's an annual.

And it was 90% labor.
50 hours inspection---after the the pre-buy was done. This was $3000.00
Hank N1441P
Old July 24th 03, 01:16 AM
John Galban

"Jim Vadek" wrote in message .net...

Nope. Don't get me wrong... I am certainly not saying that 16.5 is too
short... it is just that my owner experience is around 25 hours with some
preventative maintenance items thrown in if nothing else comes up during the
inspection.

Are you flying something simple like a 172 or Cherokee? If so, I'd
say 25 hrs is excessive. Particularly if the same shop does it over
and over. Most shops I know can finish an inspection on those in
12-14 hrs. If it's the 1st time they've ever seen the plane, you may
have to add a few hrs. for logbook work.

My shop charges a flat fee for inspection, oil change and bearing
repack on a simple 172 or PA-28. It breaks down to 12 hrs. labor +
oil and filter cost. I've never had an inspection that was more than
14 hrs.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old July 24th 03, 06:14 AM
Jay Honeck

And it was 90% labor.
50 hours inspection---after the the pre-buy was done. This was $3000.00

It would seem like your old shop must have taught my old mechanic how to pad
the bill, eh?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 24th 03, 06:46 AM
Jeff

it wasnt 35 to install tires, it was 35$ to put air in them.
..5 hours labor is what I was charged.

"Jeff" wrote

Old July 24th 03, 01:03 PM
clyde woempner

Feels good to stay on top of it, this normally keeps the inspections
reasonable. I did mine a couple of weeks ago & it was under $900.00, this
included a new muffler. I'm all smiles.
Clyde

"Ben Smith" wrote in message
Thought I'd make a quick post about our annual this year. Came in just

over
$1k, for the normal inspection, plus:

New EGT probe (EGT was inop)
New Brackett air filter housing. (Due to AD?)
ELT Battery
Gaskets... #1, #2, & #3 valve covers, dipstick tube, both mags, and

pushrod
tubes on #1.
New Voltage Regulator. (we had intermittant charging problems)
'Installed' autogas STC, filed paperwork, etc.

About 16.5 hours of labor all together. Another lucky year!

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Free Volksplane to good home, located in Chino Hills CA Bryan Zinn Home Built 3 July 18th 04 02:55 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
bulding a kitplane maybe Van's RV9A --- a good idea ????? Flightdeck Home Built 10 September 9th 03 07:20 PM
It's that time of year again. Capt. Doug Home Built 19 September 3rd 03 10:53 PM