The BIRDS

Old March 2nd 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default The BIRDS

"TrueAviation" writes:

Yeah we havent had a bird strike in a while but we had a deer strike.
No good. People dnt realize how much damage animals can call. They get
mad if we have to hunt. But whatever, bird striks can be bad, and Id
rather not deal with one.

Deer strike? Given how much damage cars experience hitting deer, and
the rather large differences between how cars and airplanes are built,
that sounds *really expensive*! (No criticism of airplane
construction intended, but they're designed with very different
constraints from cars.)
Old March 2nd 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kyle Boatright wrote:
How many of you have experienced a bird strike?

I punched a hole in the wing of the club 172 with
a turkey buzzard on Margy's first fight. Pushed
a section of the leading edge between two ribs back
to the spar.

Old March 3rd 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Google for "bird strike video" and you'll see several links
to crashes filmed by jet fighters.

some support

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
| "Kyle Boatright" wrote in
message
| How many of you have experienced a bird strike?
|
| No...two close calls, but never a hit.
|
| One went right over the cockpit about five or so feet
high.

| The other went under the right wing and missed by what
looked like inches.

| I did hit a chicken with my pickup truck once. Does that
count?

Old March 3rd 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Google for "bird strike video" and you'll see several links
to crashes filmed by jet fighters.

How about chicken strikes?

some support

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
| "Kyle Boatright" wrote in
message

Old March 3rd 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I understand that the Tyson chickens went out on strike.
Understand that some pilots' strike but that doesn't hurt
the airplane. If a pilot goes bowling while striking the
airline and knocks ten pins down, 12 times is that a perfect
strike strike?

But if playing baseball a strike means you miss, so does a
bird strike miss?

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| Google for "bird strike video" and you'll see several
links
| to crashes filmed by jet fighters.
|
| How about chicken strikes?
|

| --
| The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| some support
| http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
| See http://www.fija.org/ more about your rights and
duties.

| "Matt Barrow" wrote in
message
| | "Kyle Boatright" wrote in
| message
| | How many of you have experienced a bird strike?
| |
| | No...two close calls, but never a hit.
| |
| | One went right over the cockpit about five or so feet
| high.
| |
| | The other went under the right wing and missed by what
| looked like inches.
| |
| | I did hit a chicken with my pickup truck once. Does
that
| count?
| |
| |
| |
| |

Old March 3rd 06, 10:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-03-02, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Deer strike?

Before my time at Houston Gulf airport (before my time altogether
really, but not before my ancient CFI's time) a Cessna 150 had a cow
strike. It apparently totaled the plane.

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old March 3rd 06, 11:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dylan Smith" wrote

Before my time at Houston Gulf airport (before my time altogether
really, but not before my ancient CFI's time) a Cessna 150 had a cow
strike. It apparently totaled the plane.

Cow walked away unharmed? g
--
Jim in NC
Old March 3rd 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Google for "bird strike video" and you'll see several links
to crashes filmed by jet fighters.

Here's the "best" (worst?) one (IMHO), from our website:

http://alexisparkinn.com/photogaller...birdstrike.avi
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 3rd 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

No...two close calls, but never a hit.

If we're counting close calls, I've had dozens. Our airport is right next
to the Iowa River, and is a virtual bird sanctuary at certain times of the
year.

Worse, the beautiful bald eagle has made a huge come-back in Iowa, and they
are thick as flies all the sudden. Those danged things are almost as big as
we are!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 3rd 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
No...two close calls, but never a hit.

If we're counting close calls, I've had dozens. Our airport is right
next to the Iowa River, and is a virtual bird sanctuary at certain times
of the year.

Worse, the beautiful bald eagle has made a huge come-back in Iowa, and
they are thick as flies all the sudden. Those danged things are almost as
big as we are!

They are truly spectacular.

I recall a thread in here some time ago sating that they've seen birds in
the FL altitudes, but I saw one bald eagle when flying at 16,500 and he was
above me (fortunately way off to the right).

OTOH, most flying here is 12K and up so our bird traffic is decidedly less
than you folks get.

--
Matt

Fat Birds Bob Chilcoat Piloting 14 January 29th 06 01:27 PM
Freakn' Birds!! Jon Kraus Owning 6 June 27th 05 08:58 AM
Now the g*damned birds need transponders in the ADIZ R.L. Piloting 15 April 29th 05 10:49 PM
fatal bird strike StellaStar Piloting 9 July 13th 03 09:41 PM