Hawthorne CA to San Francisco flight planning

Old March 21st 05, 12:20 AM
Yossarian

Default Hawthorne CA to San Francisco flight planning

I'm planning my longest XC yet, from Hawthorne CA to (most likely) Hayward
Executive up by San Francisco. This will be a day VFR flight in a C172SP
in mid to late April. I'm pretty close to getting my instrument rating and
have 120 hours.

I'd like to get opinions on the route. The two choices I see are--

1. Head inland, Tejon Pass (Gorman), then Avenal VOR to Priest to Hayward.
It's the most direct but airports are few and far between in case of
trouble. Terrain is fairly flat once you get past Gorman but it's pretty
hilly until then.

2. Follow the coast up until Santa Barbara. Then Santa Maria (SMX), Paso
Robles, and follow the 101 up to Salinas then Hayward. I like this route
because there are more, larger airports available but it adds about an hour
to the trip. Fuel reserve should still be at least 90 minutes.

Any thoughts on Hayward? It seems to be mostly jet businesses but do they
at least tolerate piston singles? Any recommendations on FBOs or services
there?

Thanks in advance.
Old March 21st 05, 12:43 AM
Ditch

I usually take the shortest route possible...but then again I don't fly for
the scenery anymore. Up 101 over by Salinas is a nice route tho. If you
decide on that route, just watch for the airline traffic while south of San
Jose (KSJC) airport. There is a lot of it up that valley from Gilroy north.

As for HWD being GA friendly..that is pretty much what flies there. There is
business activity, but HWD is not dominated by it. Just watch out for the
OAK Class C airspace and you will be good to go.

. 97.142...

Old March 21st 05, 04:42 AM
Don Tuite

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:43:03 -0800, "Ditch"
wrote:

I usually take the shortest route possible...but then again I don't fly for
the scenery anymore. Up 101 over by Salinas is a nice route tho. If you
decide on that route, just watch for the airline traffic while south of San
Jose (KSJC) airport. There is a lot of it up that valley from Gilroy north.

As for HWD being GA friendly..that is pretty much what flies there. There is
business activity, but HWD is not dominated by it. Just watch out for the
OAK Class C airspace and you will be good to go.

It's maybe worth noting that staying east of 101 before RHV and then
continuing east of 680 on north avoids the hassle of transitions
through SJC and RHV (or NUX and PAO). The other thing is that it's
kinda busy from SUNOL across the Dunbarton bridge, what with PAO and
SQL traffic, so you need to keep an eye out.

I suppose it's simpler IFR.

Don
Old March 21st 05, 04:43 PM
RST Engineering

Over the Grapevine by Gorman to Bakersfield, then if you are GPS, a straight
shot for Livermore and into Hayward over the Oakland hills.

If you are VOR, then Bakersfield, Fresno, twenty miles south of Manteca hang
a left into Livermore, thence...

Hayward is VERY friendly to GA...not much jet traffic there. Above ALL
avoid going into Oakland and tying down at that huge new Jet Center at the
south end of the airport. What a rip. Tie down at Kaiser, and if you are
very quiet about it, they don't seem to even notice that you are there.

Jim

. 97.142...

Old March 22nd 05, 11:23 AM

What a glorious opportunity to SEE SOMETHING along the way. If you
are just going to fly direct, a "tube" out of LAX would be easier and
cheaper.

Rather than direct, consider some sightseeing....over agua dulce, past
Palmdale...

Many great stopping places, mojave....bakersfield, delano...

So much to see for those willing to look and explore.

Neal

Old March 24th 05, 01:22 AM
Blueskies

"John Godwin" wrote in message . 3.44...

I understand there's to be a new TV Show "CSI: Bakersfield" :-)

--

I heard Fresno...

Old April 1st 05, 09:02 AM
Hilton

Hi,

Plan on ableskivers in Solvang!!! (Sanya Ynez)

Hilton