need Libelle wheel installed pix

Old July 29th 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default need Libelle wheel installed pix

any Libelle owners out there have pics of how the wheel assy looks
when it's bolted up to the landing gear tubes? I want to get an idea
of how the brake cable housing terminates and how the anti-rotation
pin assy works.

is the brake actuated by the airbrake pull?

thanks,
Brad
Old July 29th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:23:50 -0700, Brad wrote:

any Libelle owners out there have pics of how the wheel assy looks when
it's bolted up to the landing gear tubes? I want to get an idea of how
the brake cable housing terminates and how the anti-rotation pin assy
works.

No photos - sorry.

is the brake actuated by the airbrake pull?

No, the standard set-up is a brake lever on the stick. The cable travel
is quite short. The brake lever looks like a standard bicycle unit.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old July 29th 10, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

No, the standard set-up is a brake lever on the stick. The cable travel
is quite short. The brake lever looks like a standard bicycle unit.

....and is adequate for stopping a 30 pound bicycle with a 160 pound
rider too.
Brad, have you flown a Libelle or spoken with any Libelle owners about
the awesomeness of the Libelle wheel brake?
Old July 29th 10, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Jul 29, 3:25*pm, Grider Pirate wrote:

... the awesomeness of the Libelle wheel brake?

I think you'd do better to use the Matco rig I have at the shop. Or
maybe the 5" Azusa wheel, Lamb tire, and a half-set of the Tracy
O'Brien C-90 brake rig.
Old July 29th 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_2_]

Grider Pirate wrote:
No, the standard set-up is a brake lever on the stick. The cable travel
is quite short. The brake lever looks like a standard bicycle unit.

....and is adequate for stopping a 30 pound bicycle with a 160 pound
rider too.
Brad, have you flown a Libelle or spoken with any Libelle owners about
the awesomeness of the Libelle wheel brake?

I've not flown a Libelle, but think the same or a similar brake is on my
Open Cirrus, which is rather heavier than a Libelle.

The brake has two uses:

1. It stops me overrunning the aerotow rope as it comes taut.

2. It makes a faint grating noise during the landing run.
Old July 29th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_4_]

My Libelle 301b #65 has the wheel brake cable attached to the spoiler
handle and is adjusted to activate the brake when pulled to its full
open. I don't have any pictures, but on mine, the anti-rotation pin
slides into a slot in the bottom of the left gear strut. If I can
remember correctly, there is a cable guide built into the left strut
also.
Fred

Old July 30th 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Jul 29, 3:23*pm, Brad wrote:

any Libelle owners out there have pics of how the wheel assy looks
when it's bolted up to the landing gear tubes? I want to get an idea
of how the brake cable housing terminates and how the anti-rotation
pin assy works.

is the brake actuated by the airbrake pull?

thanks,
Brad

Brakes aren't a great place to suddenly go retro-style ;-)

Craig
Old July 30th 10, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jul 29, 3:23*pm, Brad wrote:

any Libelle owners out there have pics of how the wheel assy looks
when it's bolted up to the landing gear tubes? I want to get an idea
of how the brake cable housing terminates and how the anti-rotation
pin assy works.

is the brake actuated by the airbrake pull?

thanks,
Brad

Brakes aren't a great place to suddenly go retro-style ;-)

Craig

you guys are freaking me out!

I'll cut a hole in the bottom of the fuselage and go Fred Flintstone
style!

Brad
Old July 30th 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Jul 29, 3:23*pm, Brad wrote:

any Libelle owners out there have pics of how the wheel assy looks
when it's bolted up to the landing gear tubes? I want to get an idea
of how the brake cable housing terminates and how the anti-rotation
pin assy works.

is the brake actuated by the airbrake pull?

thanks,
Brad

Brakes aren't a great place to suddenly go retro-style ;-)

Craig

you guys are freaking me out!

I'll cut a hole in the bottom of the fuselage and go Fred Flintstone
style!

Brad- Hide quoted text -

That will get really noisy at speed. You might want to use that Disc
brake setup Bob K. has instead.
Old July 30th 10, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

On Jul 29, 3:23*pm, Brad wrote:

any Libelle owners out there have pics of how the wheel assy looks
when it's bolted up to the landing gear tubes? I want to get an idea
of how the brake cable housing terminates and how the anti-rotation
pin assy works.

is the brake actuated by the airbrake pull?

thanks,
Brad

Brad,
If your hub has spoke holes, it is the original motorcycle wheel and
is quite weak. The axle and bearings wont hold up to a hard landing +
the brake shoes are small. Stiefenater can provide a Tost wheel which
is much stronger and with a wider brake shoe. Spike the shoe to the
drum by gluing 80 grit sandpaper to the drum, then rotate the wheel
with the brake actuated to "spike" a perfect fit (remove sandpaper)
and the brake will be adequate................not good, but it will
stop the Libelle when applied at 20 knots.
JJ