Oshkosh non flying female spousal events?

Old April 1st 04, 09:59 PM
Ken Finney

Default Oshkosh non flying female spousal events?

I'm planning on going to Oshkosh with my wife, who isn't too interested in
airplanes in general. I figured there had to be events scheduled for
"non-flying female type spouses/SOs", but the official brochure doesn't
mention any. Can anyone point me towards what is out there?

Old April 1st 04, 10:26 PM
Ron Natalie

"Ken Finney" wrote in message ...
I'm planning on going to Oshkosh with my wife, who isn't too interested in
airplanes in general. I figured there had to be events scheduled for
"non-flying female type spouses/SOs", but the official brochure doesn't
mention any. Can anyone point me towards what is out there?

My wife wasn't "too interested in airplanes" (she also wasn't my wife at the time)
the first time I took her to Oshkosh. By the time we got home she was ready
to get her pilots license. The next year she was a newly licensed private pilot
(but refused to land at OSH), the year after that she flew her own plane in.

But getting to the heart of the matter.

There is traditionally one forum track during the day that is non-aviation related
and there is a "women's" activities building that has various crafting things as well
as showing non-aviation movies.

A shuttle bus will take you to a nearby outlet mall.
The city bus will take in you into Oshkosh proper.

The evening "Theatre in the Woods" programs usually have a entertainment
feature (Kids from Wisconsin, etc...) that's not aviation related.

Old April 2nd 04, 03:13 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:26:17 -0500, "Ron Natalie"
wrote:

But getting to the heart of the matter.

There is traditionally one forum track during the day that is non-aviation related
and there is a "women's" activities building that has various crafting things as well
as showing non-aviation movies.

A shuttle bus will take you to a nearby outlet mall.
The city bus will take in you into Oshkosh proper.

The evening "Theatre in the Woods" programs usually have a entertainment
feature (Kids from Wisconsin, etc...) that's not aviation related.

Here's my wife's point of view: She gets motion sick easily, doesn't
like huge crowds, "roughing it" means a motel without coffee in the
morning, so lying on the damp hard ground and hiking to the portotoi's
where many women refuse to sit on the seat so they perch above it and
dribble all over the seat for the next occupant, she feels is a
particularly irritating form of torture. She thinks that looking at
airplanes flying overhead is hilariously funny.

We walked through the Smithsonian Air and Space museum for hours,
years ago before the kids, eventually ending up at the Navy exhibit.
I exclaimed, "Look honey, this is the SBD Dauntless, the Dive Bomber
that won the battle of Midway." She glanced at it, her eyes now
glazed over from hours of wandering around numerous airplanes and
remarked: "Oh great, another airplane, it's blue." We left the Air
and Space Museum and went to the Museum of Art.

I can't complain though, she hasn't objected to my building my
Christavia over the last dozen years.

So even if by some medical miracle we control her motion sickness,
Oshkosh just is never going to be a husband and wife adventure for us.
She'd feel as if she'd been condemned and banished to Siberia where
her only form of "entertainment" is to sit amongst total strangers
making flower arrangements while airplanes roar and thunder overhead
in the heat and dust.

Corky (this is meant to be a humerous post) Scott

Old April 2nd 04, 07:24 PM
Jim Weir

Not to mention the daily meeting at Honeck's plane to see who can drink the most
Tanglefoot the fastest.

Jim

"Ron Natalie"

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old April 2nd 04, 11:00 PM
tongaloa

Corky Scott wrote:

Here's my wife's point of view: She gets motion sick easily,

Mine too, until she got to doing that Tai Chi stuff.
She used to get sick on the lake on a calm day. Now she goes whale
watching in 20' seas.

-Bob

Old April 3rd 04, 10:52 PM
EDR

In article , Ken Finney
wrote:

I'm planning on going to Oshkosh with my wife, who isn't too interested in
airplanes in general. I figured there had to be events scheduled for
"non-flying female type spouses/SOs", but the official brochure doesn't
mention any. Can anyone point me towards what is out there?

New for this year...
The plan for this year's AirVenture post-airshow (?) daily meeting at
the Honeck Hospitality Hacienda will include dinner.
Last year, everyone filled up on liquids before dinner.
The details have yet to be worked out, but a plan is in the works.
PS... the plans will likely change right up until the food is put on
the grill.