for the hangar queens

Old December 6th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

Default for the hangar queens

Geez....at least those are being shared with the public so someone else
can enjoy them.

I know of a number of aircraft that people have "Collected" and never
fly, a couple Pliatus B4's that are virtually brand new with maybe 50
hours.......they will die from corrosion before they ever make 100
hours.

Its truly sad and I think all the old ships should be brought to the
table so us new owners can progress through some cool ships and not
have to trade 1-26's until we hit the jackpot and make the jump from
under $10,000 to the $30,000 + ships.

There is a real gap in the 10k to 30k range. Those 1-35's fit the bill
though although I can get 1-35 performance in my HP-11 for half the
cost and look out through the top of the canopy with the 90 degree
flaps just as well.

Thats my under 10k dollars worth.

Ray

Old December 6th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I also had a lot of fun in a 1-35c I co-owned a few years ago. I got most
of my badges and many state records in it. It was fun to fly and pretty
easy to fly. A great value. However, I must admit that while the flaps
were not a problem for me (or anyone with experience with flaps) I still
prefer airbrakes - give the choice.

As mentioned by someone else, the used Ventus is also a great value. It has
a reputation of being tough to fly, but I didn't think it was difficult to
fly. It is certainly not as easy to fly as a Junior or Discus, but I think
it is a great value in regard to performance for the price. But I must
admit that when I flew a Discus after flying the Ventus, I was amazed at how
wonderful the Discus flies. It is extremely easy to fly! Perhaps my
experience was partly due to the fact that I was at home in the cockpit
because it is identical to the Ventus cockpit. So, my point is that I would
take an old Discus over an old Ventus any day. But so would many other
pilots and the prices reflect that.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

wrote in message
oups.com...

My first glider was a 1-35C. It served me well. Entering the 36:1 club
for only $15-18K is a good deal. The 1-35 was designed to compete with
the growth in fiberglass planes; while it could keep up, it still was a
bit shy on performance at the higher speeds.

I flew side-by-side flight performance comparisons with a friend in his
ASW-19. We were perfectly matched in the common flight regimes but
differed in three areas: 1) The 1-35 thermalled slower and tighter due
to lower wing loading and flaps, 2) The 1-35 landed extremely shorter
thanks to the flaps and steep approach angle, and 3) The 1-35
noticeably dropped below the ASW-19's glide when faster than 80 KIAS.

But high speed was not the reason I bought one. Learning cross-country
and safely landing very slowly in fields were the huge draws for me as
a new guy. At the time of purchase, I had 29 glider hours; the flaps
were no big deal for me due to high-time in powered airplanes.

My 1-35C was the plane that first took me away from the airport where I
learned to fly gliders.

It was a good ownership learning plane for me. That is, when I put a
dent into it learning how to assemble, move, or put the plane back in
the box, it was easy to fix. Being metal also allowed me to feel
comfortable about flying it during our cold Colorado winters. My
current plane is fiberglass and thus stays in its box during the cold
season.

For around $15K, these two 1-35s are a great buy for both the new guy
and the experienced guy.

Raul Boerner

Old December 6th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

jb92563 wrote:
Geez....at least those are being shared with the public so someone else
can enjoy them.

I know of a number of aircraft that people have "Collected" and never
fly, a couple Pliatus B4's that are virtually brand new with maybe 50
hours.......they will die from corrosion before they ever make 100
hours.

Its truly sad and I think all the old ships should be brought to the
table so us new owners can progress through some cool ships and not
have to trade 1-26's until we hit the jackpot and make the jump from
under $10,000 to the $30,000 + ships.

There is a real gap in the 10k to 30k range.

Hmm. Let's quant this up. Here are the prices for used sailplanes in
the Wings & Wheels ads with prices in US dollars, rounded to the
nearest thousand, and divided into price-decades:

4K
4K
4K
5K
5K
6K
6K
6K
7K
7K
7K
7K
8K
9K
9K

10K
10K
10K
10K
10K
11K
11K
11K
11K
11K
12K
12K
12K
13K
13K
13K
14K
15K
15K
15K
15K
15K
16K
16K
16K
16K
16K
16K
17K
17K
17K
18K
19K
19K

20K
20K
20K
20K
20K
21K
21K
22K
22K
23K
23K
24K
25K
25K
25K
26K
28K
29K

31K
32K
33K
35K
36K
38K

42K
44K
45K

50K
50K
50K
52K
53K
54K
55K
58K

78K

80K

90K
92K

Based on this, it seems a buyer has plenty of options at most prices,
with two exceptions. If he want to pay something in the forties, he is
SOL, and if he wants to pay more than sixy, he should probably be
looking at new rather than used ships.

Johan Larson

Old December 8th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gfoster07k

jb92563 wrote:
[...]

I have been looking for a Pilatus B4 for some time and I too have found
at least three (maybe including the two you mentioned) and maybe a
fourth that have been sitting for a long time (years) and the owners
will not sell them. I have seen the same syndrome in cars. I am very
well aware of two serious cases wherein one owner has a collection of
serious classics (Porche, Zagato Fiat) and is letting them rot in a
field by his house. The second owner has Roll Royce, Bugatti, Jaguar,
etc and the same thing. Rotting away in storage that is not protected
from the weather. Strange!!

Greg