Cedar Key, Florida?

Old November 15th 03, 02:14 AM
CFLav8r

Default Cedar Key, Florida?

Anyone have any recent experience in flying into and out of Cedar Key?
I am looking for info on parking a/c overnight, camping in airport area,
parking fees, local restaurants, runway condition and anything else that may
assist us in our upcoming visit.

David
KORL

Old November 15th 03, 01:24 PM
Ryan Ferguson

David - which FBO do you fly out of at KORL? I'm based at SFB but
teach at ORL.

Cedar Key is a fun spot to visit. You can get taxi service most days
(sometimes nights too) as the local cab driver monitors CTAF. There
are no parking fees. Don't taxi on the road running parallel to the
runway (it was once a taxiway, now it's a road, and you can get a
ticket for it.) There's a small ramp on the west side of the airport
which has some chocks and tiedowns you can use, although not all of
the ropes are in great condition. No fuel, no services, no
facilities. Don't get stuck here with a mechanical problem.

For information on Cedar Key hotels and restaurants, use Google. Have
fun.

-Ryan
Old November 17th 03, 04:32 PM
Paul Sengupta

The lady in the taxi provides airport info too, and will ask you if
you want a taxi as a matter of course! Sometimes her husband
drives the taxi. It's on old chequered cab.

Don't taxi on the road? Mmm? It was the only way to get from
where I was parked to the runway (to the near end, not to the
far end). Had to wait one time for a couple of cars to go past...
except the cars seemed to be driving very slowly to watch the
planes! :-)

One tip, watch out for people fishing off the end of the runway!
:-) The runway is concrete, no problems getting in or out though
you can use shortfield technique to be on the safe side.

Places to eat...well, once you get the taxi into the town, the best
atmosphere is in one of the places in the old wooden bit on the
water. In fact, I don't know of anywhere else there! :-)

Paul

om...

Old December 1st 03, 02:04 AM
Jules Beaudoin

Yes, don't taxi on the parallel to the runway. I was shooed off by the lady
taxi driver who told me it was a car driveway/road not a taxi way.
Interesting place to visit. The taxi answers aircraft calls. Not sure how
legal this is????