Prices at Scottsdale..

Old October 24th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

Default Prices at Scottsdale..

Does anyone know if there is an FBO at SDL that does not charge the $50
ramp fee! This is getting crazy. They must be trying to scare off the
piston crowd.

--Dan

Old October 24th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"Dan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know if there is an FBO at SDL that does not charge the $50
ramp fee! This is getting crazy.

Go to Deer Valley if you can.

They must be trying to scare off the piston crowd.

This time of year, they probably are.

Old October 24th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rob

Matt Barrow wrote:
Go to Deer Valley if you can.

Second that. Despite my yahoo address, I've been based at DVT for the
past several years. I have to drive right past SDL to get there but
the prices, service, and the vibe in general are much friendlier at
DVT.

-R

Old October 25th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Adams[_2_]

"Rob" wrote:

Matt Barrow wrote:
Go to Deer Valley if you can.

Second that. Despite my yahoo address, I've been based at DVT for the
past several years. I have to drive right past SDL to get there but
the prices, service, and the vibe in general are much friendlier at
DVT.

-R

I'm out of DVT as well, but only live about 2 miles from Scottsdale. I haven't used an FBO at SDL, but
can't you just park in transient parking and use the terminal building at no charge? That would be quite a
shock if you can't.

Mike
Old October 25th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Matt Barrow wrote:
Go to Deer Valley if you can.

Second that. Despite my yahoo address, I've been based at DVT for the
past several years. I have to drive right past SDL to get there but
the prices, service, and the vibe in general are much friendlier at
DVT.

We go to PHX at least once a month (I'm there now) to see/care for my MIL
who lives about two miles from SDL, but we always go into DVT or Chandler
(which is 3-4 miles from brother-in-laws place).

--
Matt
---------------------

Old October 25th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rob

Mike Adams wrote:
...can't you just park in transient parking and use the terminal building at no charge? That would
be quite a shock if you can't.

Agreed. It's an open, municipal, public use airport. I looked around
a bit on the city's web site. According to the "Official Schedule of
Rates and Fees" at
http://www.ci.scottsdale.az.us/ratesandfees/data.asp:

Overnight parking fees assessed to transient aircraft
Rate/Fee Amount: $5.00 per night
Authority: City Code; Ch 5; Article I; Sec 5-116
Last Date Reviewed: 7/1/2006
Contact: Chris Read, Assistant Aviation Director (480) 312-2674

My guess is that if you ask for progressive taxi instructions to
transient parking, you can get away with not paying the $50 ramp fee
(!!??) that Scottsdale Air Center is charging. Lots of interesting
comments about that on Airnav. I did my primary training out of
Southwest Flight Center at SDL about five years ago. They were very
friendly and I'd bet they would be happy to sell you fuel off their
truck at transient parking. They're in the "Aviation Business Center"
next to the terminal building. They're probably getting the going rate
at SDL of ~$5/gal. though.

I'd maybe call up Mr. Read, Assistant Aviation Director, and find out
the real story with the $50 fee.

-R

Old November 2nd 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Glasair470

The letter below that I received from the Airport Director tells you
how to park for $5 a night, no FBO fees or involvement.

Sir,

If you park on the west side of the airport on the terminal ramp
(between A5 and
A6) in any yellow tie-down, you will not be charged FBO fees. The FBO
personnel
may help you park, but if you don't actually buy fuel or go into their
building,
you should not be billed. There is a self-pay box at the glass wall on
the
north side of the terminal building where you can pay your City
overnight fees
of $5/night.

The people who are picking you up can just park out in front of the
terminal
building and then wait for you inside the terminal boarding area until
you come
in from your aircraft. Parking is free.

Enjoy your stay in SDL.

Chris Read
Assistant Aviation Director
X2674

Old November 4th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rob

On Nov 2, 4:48 pm, "Glasair470" wrote:
If you park on the west side of the airport on the terminal ramp
(between A5 and
A6) in any yellow tie-down, you will not be charged FBO fees.

Nice! Thanks!

-R