Pressure system over oceanic regions

Old March 29th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

Default Pressure system over oceanic regions

Looking at the worldwide surface analysis chart, it looks like land
areas have far more pressure variations than oceans. However, I am not
sure if this is a real effect or simply an artifact of the fact that
there aren't many observation stations on the oceans. Any thoughts?

Here is an example:
http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/UA.shtml

Old March 30th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

Bottom line is heating of the surface, Andrew. "Insolation" is the buzzword.
Over land, the amount of heat absorbed/reflected determines the amount and
rate of rising air parcels...over water, the absorption rate is pretty
constant. I'm not saying that there are no differences over water, only that
the differences are small...the jet stream plays a part in moving pressure
systems around on the face of the earth with little attention paid to the
composition of the surface.

Bob Gardner

Old March 30th 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Mar 29, 8:39*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote in news:50f64be0-71fb-47d0-
:

Looking at the worldwide surface analysis chart, it looks like land
areas have far more pressure variations than oceans. However, I am not
sure if this is a real effect or simply an artifact of the fact that
there aren't many observation stations on the oceans. Any thoughts?

Both land masses and oceans spawn pressure systems. The north atlantic
is a good case in point, where the convergence of cold and warm air
masses spun into a giant mess by coriolis produces wicked lows that can
range as far down as 27.5 ( I've seen it this low *in western europe)
Land masses are better at cooking up highs and I've seen it off the
opposite end of the scale in the eastern US at well over 31 inches. You
can also get this anywhere within spitting distance of Russia from one
of the famous "siberian highs"

BTW, when it gets that low or high at a teminal, ATC will only give you
estimates of the pressure, particularly with highs. Their equipment
doesn't go that far.

Bertie

Nope, wrong again.
Old March 30th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

buttman wrote in news:6a881017-8580-4f7c-b9e9-
:

[...]

You wish wannabe boi.

Bertie

System Operation of Aircraft System [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 1 October 12th 07 06:50 AM
S-Tec System 20/30 Versus System 40/50 Marco Leon Piloting 3 November 9th 04 04:15 PM
High Oil Pressure (was: Low oil pressure, high oil temp?) Thomas Ploch Owning 4 October 5th 04 04:34 AM
Oil Pressure Justin H Home Built 2 September 23rd 04 04:35 AM
Oh, the pressure! Andrew Gideon Piloting 10 April 20th 04 05:54 PM