Wearing a G-1 Flight Jacket Off Base?

Old October 31st 03, 10:32 PM
user

CNT's??? I wore them for the first 4 years of wearing khakis, (94-98),
but they have since been replaced by Poly-Wools, for about 5 years
now. While CNT's are still authorized, the newer poly-wools are much
more comfortable, they keep you warmer in cold weather and breath more
in hot weather, plus they are much more servicable, they are wash and
wear.

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:56:16 GMT, "TAH" wrote:

Here in Washington State, Navy Region Northwest has Service Dress Blues as
the service uniform from October through April. Summer Dress Whites (short
sleeves) from May through September. Service Dress Khakis (CNT's with
devices and ribbons) may be worn year round. Usually if you are standing
the duty or attending a function where coat and tie are appropriate, one
wears the blues or whites. Otherwise folks wear khakis. Through the early
90's working blues were authorized during the winter months, but with khakis
being authorized year round I don't see them as much. And of course,
everyone finds an excuse to wear cammies it seems - exaggeration but you get
the point.

Old October 31st 03, 10:40 PM
TAH

Sorry I'm a little dated. I left DOD in the early-90's. I still go on base
occasionally but no longer pay much attention to the uniform rack.

Old November 1st 03, 12:41 AM
Robert Moore

user wrote

CNT's??? I wore them for the first 4 years of wearing khakis,
(94-98), but they have since been replaced by Poly-Wools, for
about 5 years now. While CNT's are still authorized, the newer
poly-wools are much more comfortable, they keep you warmer in
cold weather and breath more in hot weather, plus they are much
more servicable, they are wash and wear.

What are CNTs?? Describe Poly-Wools please. Perhaps I wouldn't
recognize a Naval Officer if I were to meet one! :-)

Bob Moore
LT USNR 1958-1967
VP-21 FAETULANT VP-46
Old November 1st 03, 07:35 AM
user

Ok Bob,
CNT stands for "certified Navy twill" which was actually 100%
polyester, certainly not suitable for shipboard use, kinda melts on ya
if it ever burned and they were hard to clean and had to be pressed
all the time. Poly-Wools are 75% polyester and 25% wool, and have the
creases glued in, so ya just wash and dry them and shake em out pretty
well and they look ok. There were some problems when the first
poly-wools first came out, like the glue falling out of the creases
and the threads coming undone, plus you smelt like a wet rat if you
got rained on. And the fit was a little different. But they fixed
them, and they are ok now, in my opinion.
(By the way, is that command you have in connection with your name a
joke? FAETULANT??? Sounds like "FLATULANT" haha!!! Hey I was a VP
perdiem puke for 12 years outta my 18 year enlisted career, but a few
generations after you were. P-3C's, all versions, then Prowlers and
EP-3E SSIP/ JMOD as a CWO.)

user wrote

Old November 1st 03, 12:44 PM
Robert Moore

user wrote
CNT stands for "certified Navy twill"

What color, shape, etc.? Can I watch "JAG" to find
what current uniforms look like?

(By the way, is that command you have in
connection with your name a joke? FAETULANT???
Sounds like "FLATULANT" haha!!!

Fleet Airborne Electronics Training Unit Atlantic
I taught at the Nuclear Weapons Delivery school
for the East Coast.

Yeah, I did P-3Bs in Utapoa, Thialand during Vietnam.

Bob Moore
Old November 1st 03, 05:35 PM
user

Hey Bob,
I was describing khakis, and you can't really tell the
difference between any of the materials unless you get up close. JAG
looks like they have a pretty good uniform consultant, but of course
the Hollywood spin is thrown in for effect. The actors are way too
highly decorated and way too young. They routinely have Navy and
Marine Corps O-5's and O-6's in their early to mid thirties???
Utapao? Last time I was there was '97, (anybody remember Dave
Doble?) I was the Chief on a team of maintenance and aircrew guys in
there to do an assesment of the Thai Navy's progress with their P-3B
program. My #'s might be off, but if I remember correctly, they bought
5? P-3B's, 2 of them were just for spare parts. When we were there,
only one was flyable and they had another that they liked to high
speed taxi up and down the runway. Our aircrew was scheduled to fly
with them, and they were gonna fly with us, kinda see how each other
did business. It only took about 45 min. before the OIC of the det
made the decision that there was no way in hell we were gonna fly on
their aircraft. To make a long story short, their maintenance program
was scary. They all went thru JAX for initial training, and had
contracted with LSI for all the follow on aircrew and maintenance
training, but renegged on it after they cross decked all their money
into the A7 FMS program. They also got hit hard with PRB-92 which
affected I think 6 of their props. It was a great time and the Thai
Navy guys were awesome, they performed miracles with the little
training and spare parts they had.
You might be interested in a book called "ADAK: The Rescue of
Alpha Foxtrot 586" by Andrew Jampoler, about the VP-9 ditching off the
Aleuts in 1978. Mr. Jampoler is an ex "Milpitas Chicken" Skipper,
(way before my time, I was in Big Red in the Mid eighties). He was in
Jacksonville at the NEX in August and I spoke to him for awhile, and
he signed my book. Not pitching him, but his book is a really good and
interesting read, I couldn't put it down. You can check out some of
the reviews at Amazon.

user wrote

Old November 1st 03, 11:26 PM
Robert Moore

user wrote

You might be interested in a book called "ADAK: The Rescue of
Alpha Foxtrot 586" by Andrew Jampoler, about the VP-9 ditching
off the Aleuts in 1978.

Thanks for the info and the book reccomendation!

Bob
Old November 2nd 03, 11:45 PM
Thomas Schoene

TAH wrote:
Here in Washington State, Navy Region Northwest has Service Dress
Blues as the service uniform from October through April. Summer Dress
Whites (short sleeves) from May through September. Service Dress
Khakis (CNT's with devices and ribbons) may be worn year round.

Just a little nit: isn't that last uniform called Service Khaki (or Working
Khaki if it's sans ribbons) rather than Service Dress Khaki? I thought
Service Dress Khaki was the old khaki jacket with long-sleeve khaki shirt
and tie. That was a sharp uniform; it's a shame it was lost in the press to
reduce uniform counts.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old November 3rd 03, 05:54 AM
TAH

You maybe correct. It's been a few years. I'm sure I could go check out the
online uniform regs (or someone else could). Also, another post here
mentioned the transition from CNT to a poly/wool fabric.

However, like you I agree, I believe the old khaki jacket, long sleeve shirt
and tie combo was sharp and wish it were part of the chief and officer
uniform.

--

Thomas Schoene wrote in message
ink.net...

Old November 3rd 03, 02:09 PM
Robert Moore

"TAH" wrote

However, like you I agree, I believe the old khaki jacket, long
sleeve shirt and tie combo was sharp and wish it were part of
the chief and officer uniform.

My "Wings Pinning" photo was made in that uniform at Kingsville, TX
in 1959. I can't believe that it no longer exists.
Is there a long sleeve "service dress" uniform for summer wear now?
Probably not, considering that the CENTCOM Army General does his TV
appearences in camouflage while seated in airconditioned comfort here
in Tampa, FL. :-)

Bob Moore
JO of the old school

bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
PC flight simulators Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 178 December 14th 03 12:14 PM
Wearing a G-1 flight jacket off base? Michael Naval Aviation 31 October 25th 03 08:29 AM