T-34A

Old November 30th 03, 01:16 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 15:30:06 GMT, EDR wrote in
In article , Larry Dighera
wrote:

You've never flown aerobatics, have you?

I've only a couple of hours of aerobatic instruction.

Think combined spin and roll at high rate (greater than 300 degrees per
second). The forces exerted are dynamic, they are constantly changing
in direction and magnitude. In the spin, the nose is pitching up and
down while the yaw and roll components vary; the loss of a wing or
portion of a wing also impart their own yaw/pitch/roll components. The
amplitudes of each component are constantly varying.

Are you relating a firsthand experience? Or have you got a cite?

I don't doubt that such circumstances, and others, are possible and
occur, but my expectation would be that in the majority of cases,
egress would be a real possibility.

The fact that the wing failure and separation occurred at ~4,000',
would provide only about 17 seconds before impact at a terminal
velocity of 160 mph if the surface were at sea level. I would expect,
that's not much time in such a situation.
Old November 30th 03, 04:39 PM
EDR

In article , Larry Dighera
wrote:

Are you relating a firsthand experience? Or have you got a cite?

I have done rolls (aileron and snap), spins, hammerheads, loops.

Try it yourself. Suspend a wet sponge attached to a string from the top
of your cockpit. Perform a series of rapid aileron rolls.
Which way does the sponge move?
Does it stay in one place?
Repeat while performing a multiturn upright spin, adding power once the
spin has developed.
Repeat while performing a multiturn inverted spin, again adding power
once the spin has developed.
Old November 30th 03, 06:58 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:39:25 GMT, EDR wrote in
In article , Larry Dighera
wrote:

Are you relating a firsthand experience? Or have you got a cite?

I have done rolls (aileron and snap), spins, hammerheads, loops.

As have I.

So you have no firsthand experience with a wing separation, but you
presume to lecture with authority on that subject?

Try it yourself. Suspend a wet sponge attached to a string from the top
of your cockpit. Perform a series of rapid aileron rolls.

Why? Do you think an aileron roll is one of the flight modes that
occurs as a result of wing separation? I would expect a the result to
more resemble a snap roll.

Which way does the sponge move?
Does it stay in one place?

The fact that a pilot experiences anomalous G loads during aerobatic
maneuvers is well accepted; there's no necessity for empirical
confirmation IMO.

Repeat while performing a multiturn upright spin, adding power once the
spin has developed.

This is a very stable maneuver. There should be no real difficulty
exiting the aircraft in this configuration IMO.

Repeat while performing a multiturn inverted spin, again adding power
once the spin has developed.

Um... No thanks. A spin has no relevancy to the topic IMO.