Old June 29th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Previous Posts

How far back can one go back for posts? I can only see about a week.
Old June 29th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 23:50:46 GMT, AML
wrote:

How far back can one go back for posts? I can only see about a week.

1981 With Google Groups.
Old June 29th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, AML said:
How far back can one go back for posts? I can only see about a week.

Depends on your ISP.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"We all agree that your theory is crazy, but is it crazy enough?"
Old June 29th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
AML wrote:

How far back can one go back for posts? I can only see about a week.

Some of my previous ISPs would expire posts in less than 5 days.
My current ISP (RCN) uses giganews, and text posts can be there
for months.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old June 29th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"AML" wrote in message

How far back can one go back for posts? I can only see about a week.

As others have suggested, it varies from provider to provider - or more
specifically, from server to server as not all ISPs provide a USENET server.
You can subscribe to third-party USENET providers that offer differing
retention policies, but Google Groups (the former DejaNews) is your best
best for searching old posts.

Just don't post using Google, if you can avoid it.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/TknoFlyer

Old June 29th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

How far back can one go back for posts? I can only see about a week.

http://groups.google.com/

Google has newsgroup archives reaching back many years.
Old June 29th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

AML wrote in news:ambridge-
:

How far back can one go back for posts? I can only see about a week.

As a point of reference, the oldest post I find on Supernews
right now is Aug 14, 2004.

Great retention. ****ty filters. What I mean is they over filter.
Way over filter.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old June 29th 06, 09:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"AML" wrote in message
How far back can one go back for posts? I can only see about a week.

In addition to what others said, note that even if your ISP retains the
posts for as long as you'd like, you need to make sure that your newsreader
is not configured to toss posts out sooner than you'd like. And if you wind
up having to change some configuration setting to extend your newsreader's
expiration policy, you may also have to do some extra work to convince it to

One piece of information that is suggestive as to what issue you're dealing
with is whether you've only just now tried to download the whole newsgroup,
or if you've been following it for awhile and still only have a week of
posts on your newsreader. If the former, then you are likely running into
an ISP article retention issue, while if the latter you are likely running
into a newsreader configuration issue.

As far as how to configure your newsreader goes, I can't offer any specific
advice. I'm not familiar with the Mac OS X newsreader. But Macs are
supposed to be easy to use, so it can't be *that* hard to figure out.
Right?

Pete