checklists

Old February 5th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

Default checklists

The subject of checklist use has come up in another thread and I thought it
deserved its own.

I was recently told that the compulsory use of written checklists originated
with the introduction of the B17 which was experiencing a high degree of
incidents caused by procedural deviations. It was felt that the complexity
of the aircraft required the adoption of formalized written procedures best
accomplished by the use of written checklists.

My flight training emphasized correct checklist usage and their proper use
in a team environment is a big part of proper CRM. IHBT the fastest way to
fail a flight test is failure to properly utilize checklists and I have
heard of examiners failing an applicant (before taking the runway) as a
result of failure to use proper written checklists for startup and
preflight.

I have recently read of the adoption of written checklists in medical
treatment which has significantly reduced medical mistakes and malpractice.

I am currently engaged in a project involving the introduction and
implementation of written checklists in heavy industrial construction and
maintenance and would appreciate comments and particularly links to articles
regarding checklist usage and implementation.

TIA

Old February 5th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 5, 11:36*am, "Private" wrote:
[...]

Just as an aside note. Most pilots use "do lists" although some use
"check lists". A true checklist is only referenced after you believe
you have already completed all the tasks. Its just a "check". A "do
list" is a list of instructions to do and is what most pilots do.

-Robert
Old February 5th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Private wrote:
[...]

There are several prime factors involved with the use of checklists. The
possibility of omission is obvious of course, but right along with this
factor and directly related and equally important is the sequential
factor. This aspect of the checklist equation takes into account that a
downstream item requiring an action depends on the upstream item being
preformed first.
In the aircraft application, both of these factors are of prime
importance. I would imagine other checklist scenarios will be the same.
Of course there are the psychological factors as well. These include
distraction and over tasking; both of which are critical to proper CRM
and SA.
The bottom line on checklists is that they are necessary in the
complicated scenarios where they are used.
Peripheral to the checklist itself is the issue of flow pattern, where
the properly written checklist follows a set pattern of flow whenever
and where ever possible. This flow is an added aid that allows the
following of the checklist to an optimized standard in minimum time.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 6th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 15:02:33 -0500, Dudley Henriques
wrote in
:

The possibility of omission is obvious of course, but right along with this
factor and directly related and equally important is the sequential
factor. This aspect of the checklist equation takes into account that a
downstream item requiring an action depends on the upstream item being
preformed first.

Right. For example, before engine start I switch to the least full
tank, start the engine, then switch to the fullest tank later. That
way I have verified that fuel can be drawn from both tanks. It's
difficult to do that sort of thing with an unwritten 'flow' type
(non)checklist.

Old February 6th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peripheral to the checklist itself is the issue of flow pattern, where
the properly written checklist follows a set pattern of flow whenever
and where ever possible. This flow is an added aid that allows the
following of the checklist to an optimized standard in minimum time.

--
Dudley Henriques-

In a way it's not really peripheral, rather integral.

Older checklists, from say a 1975 150 are flow-wise pretty
disorganized compared to even 5 years later, 1980. Didn't the FAA get
involved with the flow of checklists in that time frame?

Anyway I definitely see a huge improvement in those 5 years from a
flow perspective.

I even write my own checklists that I use to make sure I test all the
scenarios that need to work in software I write BEFORE even sending it
to the QA department. Checklists for complex industrial construction?
I'd have hoped that would have been in use for years!
Old February 6th 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:
It's
difficult to do that sort of thing with an unwritten 'flow' type
(non)checklist.

No, it's really not.

My engine start procedure has me select the least full tank before
start. The runup procedure has me switch to the other (fullest) tank.

Pre-Lunch checklists 01-- Zero One Soaring 9 January 28th 06 10:38 PM
Pre-launch checklists John Brenann Soaring 2 January 27th 06 04:27 PM
Pre-launch Checklists. keithw Soaring 0 January 26th 06 02:54 AM
maintenance checklists tony roberts Owning 2 January 25th 05 10:59 PM
Where to buy MU-2 Checklists and books? Rob C. Owning 3 March 15th 04 01:08 AM