A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

OLC uploading disabled? What does it mean?

Old April 1st 20, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Z15
external usenet poster

Default OLC uploading disabled? What does it mean?

I have to put a vote in the hat for
crosscountry.aero also. Much more user friendly format, less finicky uploading, all around better experience, and wouldn't you know it......they actually respond to emails! OLC seems to have recently ripped off thier picture and comments idea and renamed it "OLC Stories".

Give it a shot, you can still bulk upload all of last seasons flights in one quick operation. Nothing to lose.....
Old April 1st 20, 10:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Patrick (LS6-b EH)
external usenet poster

Everything about Skylines is better, except that it's not the standard.

Post to Skylines first (they'll tell you if you've "used" airspace), then post to OLC!
Old April 1st 20, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I post to OLC at the request of a friend, long since retired from
soaring, he said it would be nice to gain points for the Albuquerque
Soaring club.Â* Then I discovered Skylines.aero.Â* It's free, has no
advertisements, and allows the use of knots, feet, and nautical miles,
the official units of aviation, has several screen backgrounds, etc.Â* I
use Skylines because it's easier to keep up my logs without having to
convert between metric and Imperial units (here comes another discussion).

On 3/31/2020 7:39 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 8:30:10 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Of course you know that "the cloud" is just someone else's computer...

And so is OLC. I'm not fond of the current format of OLC. But OTOH if we all scattered into posting our flights into many different servers it would no longer be easy to "go see what others' flights were like today". Thus people tend to mostly congregate on one such service, and stick with it for a while. The social dynamics of any possible switch to a new service are fascinating... I see that several people in the same US club have switched to Skylines.aero. I wonder how that came about. (And I wonder how Facebook will eventually suffer the fate of MySpace...)

Of course it is possible for one to upload the same flights to more than one service. Also it is possible, if somebody were to spend the time and money, to set up a meta-server that would redirect to the appropriate actual storage location for each flight.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 3rd 20, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

I second the recommendations for crosscountry.aero
They also provide the best online electronic logbook around for a small subscription fee.
It is IMHO the best platform but started suffering recently from lack of enhancements and bug fixes since it is not popular enough. If we make it more popular it will get even better.
As for OLC, don’t get me started with their silliness. It is still the de facto platform so I hope they will listen to their customers that we don’t give a **** about the privacy of our OLC files otherwise why on earth would we upload them to a public web site?

Ramy
Old April 4th 20, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I uploaded today's flight to both OLC and Skylines... :-D

On 4/3/2020 12:51 AM, Ramy wrote:
I second the recommendations for crosscountry.aero
They also provide the best online electronic logbook around for a small subscription fee.
It is IMHO the best platform but started suffering recently from lack of enhancements and bug fixes since it is not popular enough. If we make it more popular it will get even better.
As for OLC, don’t get me started with their silliness. It is still the de facto platform so I hope they will listen to their customers that we don’t give a **** about the privacy of our OLC files otherwise why on earth would we upload them to a public web site?

Ramy

--
Dan, 5J