Seminole Lake Glider Port.

Old April 2nd 20, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Seminole Lake Glider Port.

I wonder if someone made a low ball offer for SLGP right now how quickly Mihai would grab it? This could go on for some time to come, no one really knows. I assume that he was "not on the property" during the Seniors as advertised. I guess the excuse will be that the flight restrictions implemented by DONALD interfered with his movement. Or maybe not?

Walt Connelly
Happy Helicopter Pilot
Old April 2nd 20, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Walt, I gotta tell ya, at this point, I really don’t care if that guy still owns seminole or sells it, just as long as we have some places to get a tow lol. Right now with this lockdown I wonder if some of the last remaining commercial glider ops are going to end up closing their doors permanently. Its kind of a scary scene.

The rich guys will tell us to just get a aux powered glider, but some of us are just not into that option either due to finances or due to a love for simple classic machines. I guess I may need to get my auto tow rig put back together.
Dan
Old April 2nd 20, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Dan,

What's your auto tow rig like?* I've done it with a straight 1,000 foot
rope with a long runway, and with a pulley on a shorter runway.* I seem
to recall they use a straight 1,800' rope on the dry lake bed south of
Las Vegas.* Made 3 trips out there, great times!

Dan

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 2nd 20, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ive got 1800 ft of spectra and a schweizer towhook mounted on a trailer reciever. The part I need to build is an electric reel for retreaving the line.
Dan
Old April 2nd 20, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 11:33:19 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Ive got 1800 ft of spectra and a schweizer towhook mounted on a trailer reciever. The part I need to build is an electric reel for retreaving the line.
Dan

How high do you get with that rig, Dan? I'm interested. I've been pondering a design for a pulley that can be mounted to a trailer hitch receiver to do reverse auto tows. I'm considering a 4,500' length of Dyneema to be used on our 4,800' runway, but I also need to get signed off for ground launches first as well.
Old April 2nd 20, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Only place Ive used it is on the big dry lakes in southern NV. There with miles to run alway get above 1200ft agl. I have been leery of the pulley n reverse pully setups,try to keep things dirt simple.
Dan
Old April 2nd 20, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

I wonder if someone made a low ball offer for SLGP right now how quickly Mihai would grab it? This could go on for some time to come, no one really knows. I assume that he was "not on the property" during the Seniors as advertised. I guess the excuse will be that the flight restrictions implemented by DONALD interfered with his movement. Or maybe not?

Walt Connelly
Happy Helicopter Pilot

Could this be the Romanian fire sale of 2020 ?
Old April 3rd 20, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I remember getting around 1,300' using an 1.800' straight rope, but that
was on a dry lake bed with practically unlimited distance for the tow
car.* My pulley tow had the pulley attached to the back of the tow car.
HERE
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9a4v2wbg9fok9r/Ground%20Launch.mp4?dl=0 is
raw video of me in my LS-6 during shooting for a program aired on ESPN
back in the 90s.* I got a bit enthusiastic near the top of the climb
causing the tug to lose traction.* The passenger in the Jeep was Emerson
Fittipaldi, winner of the Indianapolis 500.* He was the host of the
show.* The opening scene is not me, it's a couple of our members doing a
low pass for the show.

Old April 3rd 20, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

My pay out winch works very well.

https://youtu.be/OWPbB2hxPKo

Boggs
Old April 3rd 20, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

👍cool stuff