Lowrance AM 2000 or Garmin 296

Old July 15th 04, 02:45 AM
John

Default Lowrance AM 2000 or Garmin 296

I have posted here a couple of times, after soloing and after my
introductory flight. I am trying to decide between the Garmin and Lowrance
GPS handheld units. I Googled. Any input and why you like the particular
unit/feature would be greatly appreciated. Also since there is a
significant price difference, IYHO is the difference justified. Thanks in
advance.
John

Old July 15th 04, 03:56 AM
Terry

Hi John..

I purchased the Garmin 296 a couple weeks ago before going to Charleston
SC and Myrtle Beach from Columbus Ohio... Absolutely love it!!!

Upgraded from the Lowrance 300. Extremely easy to read in daylight or
dark. Picture quality is excellent. I did have some doubts about a color
gps and if the extra bucks were worth it. Yes! I use polarized
sunglasses and my old lowrance was hard to see but the Garmin is like
I'm not wearing any glasses at all.

Easy to read menus and after a couple hours of play your up and running
with a pretty good understanding of how things work.

Terrain avoidance is a really nice feature when I tried it over the
appalachian mountains on my way to SC.

Locks on really fast, screen features and display is fully customizable.

Again.... I love my new Garmin 296!!!!

Terry
N6401F

Old July 15th 04, 06:36 AM
Cockpit Colin

And when they FINALLY get around to releasing the Pacific International
version, this part of the world will also be able to marvel at it

Old July 15th 04, 12:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

John,

while the Garmin has been out for a while, the Lowrance hasn't. So
people will generally not know the unit yet.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)