PW-5 aero tow speeds

Old August 22nd 03, 01:36 PM
Mike McCarron

Default PW-5 aero tow speeds

Any of you PW-5 drivers out there care to say what
air speeds you like on aero tow?

Mike

Old August 22nd 03, 02:22 PM
Larry Pardue

"Mike McCarron" wrote in message
Any of you PW-5 drivers out there care to say what
air speeds you like on aero tow?

Mike

I like 65 knots but just about anything from 55 up to the 81 redline is OK.

Larry Pardue 2I

Old August 22nd 03, 08:23 PM
Mark James Boyd

Any of you PW-5 drivers out there care to say what
air speeds you like on aero tow?

I don't weigh much (160# maybe), and have found at the
upper tow limit (81 kts) the PW-5 starts to shake.

So I ask for no more than 70 kts on tow. 60-70 seems
to work well for me. The PW-5 is slippery and light,
so it's worth it to tell the tow pilot the speeds you
want so you don't accelerate too much if he levels off for a
cloud or for traffic.

We use the 150/150 for the PW-5 so it can tow slower
without overheating when it's 100 degrees out. The 150/180
really doesn't like towing slow...
Old August 24th 03, 02:27 AM
time2fly

I take a tow behind a Pawnee. One pilot likes a 62 kt avg., the other likes 67 kt. Both are fine
and I wouldn't think that a little faster would be a problem. The view of the tow plane is better
the faster you go.
Ray