Great quote

Old September 27th 04, 12:13 PM
Roger Long

Default Great quote

From Avweb's Kevin Garrison in this week's column:

"Using the B-52 as our main bomber is the same thing -- in terms of years --
as using a three-masted schooner to battle the Japanese fleet in World War
II."

If you do the math, it's true. Amazing.

--

Roger Long

Old September 27th 04, 02:38 PM
Jay Honeck

If you do the math, it's true. Amazing.

That IS amazing.

This truly illustrates how evolutionary (rather than revolutionary) aircraft
design has become. It also highlights America's unprecedented world
dominance. Imagine: world competition is so inconsequential that the United
States can rule the skies while flying the equivalent of a 3-masted
schooner...

Of course, look at the F-15 Eagle, which was developed 32 years ago.

In World War II, that would have been like going to war in a Wright Model B
Flyer!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 27th 04, 04:02 PM
john smith

I am not certain I agree with that assessment.
The B-52 has become more of a standoff launch platform than an actual
bomber. The advent of cruise missles and precision guide munitions has
changed the philosophy of how war is conducted.

From Avweb's Kevin Garrison in this week's column:

Old September 27th 04, 04:18 PM
C J Campbell

The B-52 of today may look the same as the B-52 of 50 years ago, but it is
not the same airplane. It has outlasted several designs specifically built
to replace it, including the B-1.

Old September 27th 04, 04:20 PM
C J Campbell

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

It also highlights America's unprecedented world
dominance.

:-))

Imagine: world competition is so inconsequential that the United
States can rule the skies while flying the equivalent of a 3-masted
schooner...

or imagine how all the other countries invest their money in more useful

things
and let the war playing to others. :-)

I wonder what would happen if we stopped paying for everybody's defense.
Perhaps Europe could no longer afford to subsidize Airbus any more.

Old September 27th 04, 04:21 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

The B-52 of today may look the same as the B-52 of 50 years ago, but it is
not the same airplane. It has outlasted several designs specifically built
to replace it, including the B-1.

The B-1 is still in service.

Old September 27th 04, 04:57 PM
C J Campbell

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

The B-52 of today may look the same as the B-52 of 50 years ago, but it

is
not the same airplane. It has outlasted several designs specifically

built
to replace it, including the B-1.

The B-1 is still in service.

I think they plan to retire it, though. Even the B-1 is still like using
Dewey's fleet against the Japanese.

Old September 27th 04, 05:06 PM
C J Campbell

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
If you do the math, it's true. Amazing.

That IS amazing.

This truly illustrates how evolutionary (rather than revolutionary)

aircraft
design has become. It also highlights America's unprecedented world
dominance. Imagine: world competition is so inconsequential that the

United
States can rule the skies while flying the equivalent of a 3-masted
schooner...

Of course, look at the F-15 Eagle, which was developed 32 years ago.

In World War II, that would have been like going to war in a Wright Model

Flyer!

According to that issue of AVweb, the Army wants to use blimps.

Ha! Not only can we beat 'em with one hand tied behind our back, but we can
do it with both hands and feet tied and blindfolded, too!

Old September 27th 04, 05:38 PM
William W. Plummer

C J Campbell wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

If you do the math, it's true. Amazing.

That IS amazing.

This truly illustrates how evolutionary (rather than revolutionary)

aircraft

design has become. It also highlights America's unprecedented world
dominance. Imagine: world competition is so inconsequential that the

United

States can rule the skies while flying the equivalent of a 3-masted
schooner...

Of course, look at the F-15 Eagle, which was developed 32 years ago.

In World War II, that would have been like going to war in a Wright Model

Flyer!

According to that issue of AVweb, the Army wants to use blimps.

Ha! Not only can we beat 'em with one hand tied behind our back, but we can
do it with both hands and feet tied and blindfolded, too!

Hold it. Are you knocking blimps (air ships)? They can lift heavy
loads such as a tank and delive it right to the front. They are
reasonable cool (IR-wise) and have a low radar crossection. They can
take many shots and still fly. And, they are cheap! And pilot training
is minimal because, although they typically have more than one engine, a
multi engine ticket isn't required because the engines are not involved
in producing lift.
Old September 27th 04, 06:19 PM
Dan Luke

"Roger Long" wrote:
"Using the B-52 as our main bomber is the same thing -- in terms of

years --
as using a three-masted schooner to battle the Japanese fleet in World War
II."

If you do the math, it's true. Amazing.

How does he figure that? Sail-less, steam-powered warships appeared more
than 50 years before WW II.
http://www.gwpda.org/naval/scnavdes.htm

It's a misleading comparison, anyway. Technological progress is not linear,
but proceeds in spurts separated by periods of little fundamental change.
Other than its stealthiness, the B-2 offers little operational advantage
over a modernized B-52 for most missions, and even has some disadvantages
vs. the BUFF in terms of its logistical requirements, not to mention its
absurd cost.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM