Smart Turbo Diesel or VW Lugo Diesel

Old December 1st 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bbutlergps

Default Smart Turbo Diesel or VW Lugo Diesel

Howdy,
I am looking into a power plant for a Zenith 701. I am very interested
in going the route of a diesel. Would anybody have any information on
either the:
Smart (Mercedes) 3 cyl. 95 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 112
hp) found in the Smart ForFour or VW Lupo or Fox (euro) 3 cyl. 1.4
liter 70 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 108 hp)
What I am most interested in is weight and the PSRU.
Thanks,
Bill

Old December 1st 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

"bbutlergps" wrote in message
ps.com...
Howdy,
I am looking into a power plant for a Zenith 701. I am very interested
in going the route of a diesel. Would anybody have any information on
either the:
Smart (Mercedes) 3 cyl. 95 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 112
hp) found in the Smart ForFour or VW Lupo or Fox (euro) 3 cyl. 1.4
liter 70 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 108 hp)
What I am most interested in is weight and the PSRU.
Thanks,
Bill

Have you found the Matronics Zenith Mailing list and forum yet. If not
follow the link below. Lots of 710 builders are there.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewforum.php?f=2

Old December 1st 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
karel

"bbutlergps" wrote in message
ps.com...
Howdy,
I am looking into a power plant for a Zenith 701. I am very interested
in going the route of a diesel. Would anybody have any information on
either the:
Smart (Mercedes) 3 cyl. 95 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 112
hp) found in the Smart ForFour or VW Lupo or Fox (euro) 3 cyl. 1.4
liter 70 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 108 hp)
What I am most interested in is weight and the PSRU.
Thanks,
Bill

not very clear where you are,
so availability is a major concern.
but since you seem interested in european engines,
have a look at the gaz_aile,
it uses the diesel engine from the Citroen AX
and peugeot 106, not the most modern engine,
but simple (no electronics!) and reliable.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaz'aile_2#Le_moteur

http://gazaile2.free.fr/

Old December 1st 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bbutlergps

Hey thanks so much for Matronics list. I didn't ever run across that
before.
Thanks again,
Bill

Old December 1st 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bbutlergps

I am in Texas and my French only works in Paris, Texas that is so I
can't quite read that website on the Gaz_aile.
Would you know how much it weighs and what the output is?
Transportation isn't too big of a problem as long as you have time
(ship) 6 weeks plus. I can pick it up anywhere along the Eastern sea
board or Houston.
Thanks,
Bill

Old December 1st 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"bbutlergps" wrote

I am looking into a power plant for a Zenith 701. I am very interested
in going the route of a diesel. Would anybody have any information on
either the:
Smart (Mercedes) 3 cyl. 95 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 112
hp) found in the Smart ForFour or VW Lupo or Fox (euro) 3 cyl. 1.4
liter 70 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 108 hp)
What I am most interested in is weight and the PSRU.

Be sure if you go with an auto diesel conversion, that the fuel pump does not
need the oily content of the diesel to keep from wearing out prematurely. Jet
fuel (which I am assuming you will be using) does not lubricate as well as
diesel, and some converters have had problems with their fuel pumps, as a
result.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 2nd 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

bbutlergps wrote:
Howdy,
I am looking into a power plant for a Zenith 701. I am very interested
in going the route of a diesel. Would anybody have any information on
either the:
Smart (Mercedes) 3 cyl. 95 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 112
hp) found in the Smart ForFour or VW Lupo or Fox (euro) 3 cyl. 1.4
liter 70 hp Turbo Diesel (can be chipped up to 108 hp)
What I am most interested in is weight and the PSRU.
Thanks,
Bill

Go here...................
http://www.ecofly.de/english.htm

And then click on their prices and you will find a smart engine diesel
all ready to install into aircraft.

Hope this helps

Old December 2nd 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bbutlergps

No this aircraft is going to be manly flying to from our Ranch in North
Texas. It isn't going to be a cross country plane. I have several
reason to want to go the route of the Diesel one of which is the
ability to get / use tax free off road diesel.
Thanks,
Bill

"bbutlergps" wrote

Old December 2nd 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

wrote:

http://www.ecofly.de/english.htm

And then click on their prices and you will find a smart engine diesel
all ready to install into aircraft.

All the technical information is about the GAS version of the engine.
The listed weight is 57Kg all up for that version. As a SWAG, I'll bet
the Diesel is about 20-30% heavier.