Jim Weir - desulfating battery charger

Old December 20th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Default Jim Weir - desulfating battery charger

Jim, that was an excellent article in last month's kit plane. I'll be
getting the parts together to build one here shortly.

There was also a nice article in Sport Aviation (for a change), that
actually showed how to build something. In this case a battery desulfator.

The question is, how feasible would it be to combine the two circuits,
making the circuit would go into desulfating mode When the battery is
charged?
Old December 20th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Denny

I am not Jim, but...
First it does not matter if the battery is under charge or idle as far
as the desulfator...
The battery powers the desulfator charging or not
The desulfator consists of an oscillator that uses a
transformer/rectifier to charge a high voltage capacitor...
Periodically several times a second the high voltage on this cap is
dumped back into the battery as a high voltage spike.. This
theoretically blasts sulfate ions off the plates...

Build the desulfator and the charger and have at it.. If you are
concerned add a a transistor so the desulfator is not working while the
charger is... Be aware that desulfators are electrrically noisy beasts
that can jam reception of radios, tv, etc...

denny

Old December 20th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
kd5sak

My travel trailer power converter has an optional microprocessor plug-in
device called a Charge Wizard that would periodically run a desulfation
cycle as part of its battery charging function. Rather than building such a
device, it might be simpler to buy a converter and the power wizard. I did a
little net search on converters after writing the previous sentence and
found the latest model has the Charge Wizard built in and you don't have to
buy it as an add-on. the URL below will take you to it. The converters are
not cheap at $190 but mine is six years old and still working fine(as far as
I can tell) The Charge Wizard starts in boost mode to charge a discharged
battery and when it reaches a 90% charge drops to Normal mode
to complete charging the battery, after 30 hours of Normal mode it switches
to Storage mode which is a reduced charge maintenance rate. Every 21 hours
while in Storage mode it runs a Desulfation Cycle. I'm not a converter
salesman, just a trailer user, but though this might prove to be useful info
for some of you.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...lts.asp?Cat=53

Harold
KD5SAK

Old December 20th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Don L n FTW

"Ernest Christley" wrote in message
Jim, that was an excellent article in last month's kit plane. I'll be
getting the parts together to build one here shortly.

There was also a nice article in Sport Aviation (for a change), that
actually showed how to build something. In this case a battery
desulfator.

The question is, how feasible would it be to combine the two circuits,
making the circuit would go into desulfating mode When the battery is
charged?

Why make it?? If the battery is run down, charge it with a cheap Sears
charger and then use VDC maintainer...
See : http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12117.htm
I use them in all of my RV and AC batteries... You can find them at
"Battery Plus" stores and "Camping World" RV stores....

Old December 20th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Don L n FTW wrote:
"Ernest Christley" wrote in message
.. .

Jim, that was an excellent article in last month's kit plane. I'll be
getting the parts together to build one here shortly.

There was also a nice article in Sport Aviation (for a change), that
actually showed how to build something. In this case a battery
desulfator.

The question is, how feasible would it be to combine the two circuits,
making the circuit would go into desulfating mode When the battery is
charged?

Why make it?? If the battery is run down, charge it with a cheap Sears
charger and then use VDC maintainer...
See : http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12117.htm
I use them in all of my RV and AC batteries... You can find them at
"Battery Plus" stores and "Camping World" RV stores....

Lotsa times if the battery is sulfated, IT WON'T TAKE A CHARGE --

the cheap sears(ptooey) btry charger won't charge it OR pick up the
sulfate compounds lying on the bottom of the case & re-combine it
back into H2SO4.
Old December 21st 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

jerry wass wrote:
Don L n FTW wrote:
[...]

And none of the chargers mentioned will do a thing if you don't have an
outlet to plug it in.

The beauty of the charger that Jim gave us was that it is solar
powered!! My battery cover will be a solar panel. I just thought it
would be nice to throw the desulfator in there for when the photons are
being turned away because the batter is full of electrons. Better to
invite them in and have them do something useful.