OSH 2007 Parties -- You're all invited!

Old May 16th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student
Ron Wanttaja

Default OSH 2007 Parties -- You're all invited!

On 15 May 2007 21:01:54 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

You guys kill me. There are whole forests here, and lakes, and big
(well, okay, not that big) hills, and some pretty nice river
valleys.

Yeah, but if you shaved your back, that'd cut the acreage by about 50%. :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 16th 07, 09:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"Margy Natalie" wrote

Damned, all I did when I discovered I had NO IDEA what Jay's tail number
was and I'd left the papers I'd carefully prepared at home, was to call
the hotel and talk the person at the desk out of Jay's cell phone number.
Now, if I'd only put that in the memory, I'd be ok!

Yep, and you could just have punched Jay's tail number into your phone's
memory, too.

But that would be too easy. No scraps of paper to lose, that way! g
--
Jim in NC

Old May 16th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student
Michelle P

Richard Riley wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2007 04:28:20 GMT, Michelle P
wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:

Forest? How do you set 50,000 acres of corn on fire?

Jim

"Michelle P" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

Jay,
Love to come, can't unless you have a really large forest fire near by.

Michelle

Not sure but I can consult with the controlled burn folks and get back
to you ;-)

Michelle

Michelle P, totally off topic, I heard that Gov. Swartzenegger ordered
the forrest servcie to contract the DC-10 tanker. Do you know if it
saw any action in Catalena?

He can order the DC-10 for the CDF Calif dept of Forestry. The US Forest
service refuses to use it. It cannot spot dump. It is only good for
laying in long, long retardant lines. The plane is not that maneuverable
as well. No something we do often and it is very very expensive to run.
about $30,000/ hr.

Michelle
Old May 16th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student
RST Engineering

What are you guys using for dumpers, Stoots or Stoofs? The two here at
Grass Valley were the first two S2Ts in California and they have just been
absolute workhorses.

You flying the dumpers or the spotter?

Jim

Old May 17th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student
Michelle P

RST Engineering wrote:
What are you guys using for dumpers, Stoots or Stoofs? The two here at
Grass Valley were the first two S2Ts in California and they have just been
absolute workhorses.

You flying the dumpers or the spotter?

Jim

He can order the DC-10 for the CDF Calif dept of Forestry. The US Forest
service refuses to use it. It cannot spot dump. It is only good for laying
in long, long retardant lines. The plane is not that maneuverable as well.
No something we do often and it is very very expensive to run. about
$30,000/ hr.

Michelle

The Forest Service uses P2V-7s and P-3s from private contractors. BT-3s
(DC-3s converted to Turbo props) and Sherpas for jump planes. King Air
C-90s for Lead Planes, King Airs, Sky Masters, 310s, Queen Airs, and
anything else for Air Attack. I fly Air Attack.. This are the
spotter/command platform.

Michelle
Old May 26th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student
John T[_1_]

Hey...popcorn!!!

Jim Burns wrote:
You'd need napalm... lots of napalm, especially in July!
I thought there was a forest fire up near Duluth, MN... is that close
enough?
Jim Burns

Old May 26th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student
Jay Honeck

Hey...popcorn!!!

For a while I thought we'd have popcorn -- or at least a widespread
fire -- here in Iowa. However, after a week of high wind, low
humidity and high temps, the rains finally came and made everything
that beautiful "spring" shade of green once again.

I'm looking out my patio as I type this, and the greens are so
intense, it almost hurts. It sure does a soul good, after seeing
nothing but gray, black, and white from December through March.

There is simply no place I'd rather be than Iowa in the springtime.
God almighty, it is gorgeous...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 26th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student
John Ousterhout[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
Hey...popcorn!!!

For a while I thought we'd have popcorn -- or at least a widespread
fire -- here in Iowa. However, after a week of high wind, low
humidity and high temps, the rains finally came and made everything
that beautiful "spring" shade of green once again.

I'm looking out my patio as I type this, and the greens are so
intense, it almost hurts. It sure does a soul good, after seeing
nothing but gray, black, and white from December through March.

There is simply no place I'd rather be than Iowa in the springtime.
God almighty, it is gorgeous...

Remember that next month when it's 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity...
in between the thunderstorms :-)

- John (soon to be ex-Iowan) Ousterhout -

Old May 26th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.student
Jay Honeck

Remember that next month when it's 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity...
in between the thunderstorms :-)

Funny you should mention T-storms. We have not had a single (not
one!) instance of severe weather here this spring.

Not even a tornado "watch", let alone warning. Very, very, VERY
unusual for Iowa in springtime. (Remember last May, and the tornado
that scrambled Iowa City?)

We're getting kind of an "all-day-rain" today, which we sorely needed,
but the weather has really been perfect all spring.

Personally, I don't mind flying in summertime thunderstorms, because
they are usually widely scattered and easy to circumnavigate. It's
the big frontal boundaries (like we're seeing today) that screw up
lots of stuff.

(Just took a cancellation a few minutes ago from a pilot in Allentown,
PA, thanks to this stupid front...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA