Air to Ground Communication

Old August 19th 03, 02:54 AM
Scott

Default Air to Ground Communication

And I prefer 440 MHz when boring holes in the sky and ionizing the
atmosphere with my A-65's exhaust stacks

Scott N0EDV
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com
Building RV-4
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die!

Big John wrote:

I used 2M (144 mhz band) when I was hamming while airborne.

Big John, KR5K

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:27:41 -0000, "karel adams"
wrote:

"Ed Sharp" schreef in bericht
.. .
Hi

I am a complete newbie here, so please don't shoot me down.

Is there a legitimate way of communicating between Aircraft and Ground
(other than tower or controller) in a light aircraft. I am meaning
more social type communication, ie, will be landing in about 20
minutes, put the kettle on.... type of thing. The sort of thing you
phone for when you are near your destination on a long journey.

From recent discussions in news://rec.aviation.homebuild ,
I gathered that, in the USA at least, it is quite a normal
thing to do HAM com's whilst airborne
Whether this means 27 Mc or 2 meters I cannot say
not being a hammer myself

Old August 19th 03, 03:33 AM
Veeduber

I just buzz the house... and drop a note written in Morse code.

R.S.Hoover (KA6HZF)
Old August 19th 03, 03:36 AM
Big John

Scott

I never found that many on 440. If I wanted to talk to someone while
going XC, I had to get on '52. On rare occasions I got on a repeater
freq and keyed them all up in a 500 mile radius. Not a nice thing to
do.

Big John, KR5K
Trustee 147.00 and 224.1 Houston.

Big John wrote:

I used 2M (144 mhz band) when I was hamming while airborne.

Big John, KR5K

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:27:41 -0000, "karel adams"
wrote:

"Ed Sharp" schreef in bericht
.. .
Hi

I am a complete newbie here, so please don't shoot me down.

Is there a legitimate way of communicating between Aircraft and Ground
(other than tower or controller) in a light aircraft. I am meaning
more social type communication, ie, will be landing in about 20
minutes, put the kettle on.... type of thing. The sort of thing you
phone for when you are near your destination on a long journey.

From recent discussions in news://rec.aviation.homebuild ,

Old August 19th 03, 12:05 PM
Scott

Yes, I know what you mean! Actually, that's why went to 440. Around
here (75 miles from Minneapolis) 2M has enough activity that it
sometimes is hard to even make a call from way up at 1000 AGL

I usually just talk to a few friends on 446.000 simplex from the air
anyway. Once you announce aeronautical mobile on 2M, everyone calls you
on top of one another and they keep trying even after you start talking
to someone since they usually can't hear who you're talking to on the
ground...now someday I'd like to run HF aeronautical mobile, like 12M or
10M. When I recover the Corben, I think I'll add a dipole leg into each
wing (26.5' span)...

Scott

Big John wrote:

I used 2M (144 mhz band) when I was hamming while airborne.

Big John, KR5K

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:27:41 -0000, "karel adams"
wrote:

"Ed Sharp" schreef in bericht
.. .
Hi

I am a complete newbie here, so please don't shoot me down.

Is there a legitimate way of communicating between Aircraft and Ground
(other than tower or controller) in a light aircraft. I am meaning
more social type communication, ie, will be landing in about 20
minutes, put the kettle on.... type of thing. The sort of thing you
phone for when you are near your destination on a long journey.

From recent discussions in news://rec.aviation.homebuild ,

Old August 19th 03, 03:39 PM
Ron Natalie

"karel adams" wrote in message ...

Whether this means 27 Mc or 2 meters I cannot say
not being a hammer myself

If you keep referring to Children's Band as Ham, you're not going to endear yourself
to the amateur radio community.

Ground plane Frank Home Built 5 July 25th 03 11:52 PM
Antenna Ground Plane Grounding Fastglasair Home Built 1 July 8th 03 05:21 PM