A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Oxygen Bottle for ASW 20

Old February 14th 19, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Deming Gray
external usenet poster

Default Oxygen Bottle for ASW 20

Hello,

I want to install an oxygen bottle in my ASW20. I haven't found any documentation on what size bottle should be installed. I tried a search on this site and there are loads of posts regarding oxygen but I couldn't get them to open. Anyone know why? Anyone have any information on the size of oxygen bottle to use in an ASW 20?

Thanks,

Deming
Old February 15th 19, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Several years ago, a pilot who had relocated from Florida to Moriarty with an ASW-20C had me install an O2 system. By enlarging the fuselage bulkhead hole down by the pilot's right elbow, I was able to fit a Mountain High AL-682 cylinder. This is the largest capacity cylinder available for use in a -20. It is also the one I use in my Pegasus, which has a nearly identical cockpit. The diameter of the AL-682 (and the shorter AL-415) is 4.4 inches. It fits in the existing clamp, but the padding must be removed. If you do not have a clamp, one must be fabricated or possibly ordered from Schleicher.. Call or email me if you need more info. You have my number and email address.
Old February 15th 19, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 5:27:47 PM UTC-5, Deming Gray wrote:
Hello,

I want to install an oxygen bottle in my ASW20. I haven't found any documentation on what size bottle should be installed. I tried a search on this site and there are loads of posts regarding oxygen but I couldn't get them to open. Anyone know why? Anyone have any information on the size of oxygen bottle to use in an ASW 20?

Thanks,

Deming

You need a steel (not aluminum) E size bottle. These may vary a little in OD and smaller is better (4.18" is the magic number iirc). The aluminum E size bottles are too big.

Something like this:
https://www.cramerdeckermedical.com/...product_id=430

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8