??Build rolling tool chest?

Old January 23rd 05, 03:05 PM
Michael Horowitz

Default ??Build rolling tool chest?

You know the rolling mechanics tool chests that provide some work room
on top? you see these in any A&P shop.

I don't need one, so I don't wanna spend much $$$, but if I could
build one for nothing, it would be fun to have.

Anyone built their own rolling tool chest? - Mike
Old January 23rd 05, 03:26 PM
Michael Horowitz

"Dave Stadt" wrote:

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
news
You know the rolling mechanics tool chests that provide some work room
on top? you see these in any A&P shop.

I don't need one, so I don't wanna spend much $$$, but if I could
build one for nothing, it would be fun to have.

Anyone built their own rolling tool chest? - Mike

You can't build one for what they cost on sale.

No kidding? I'll have to look around. Sears? Home Depot? Auto parts
shop? - Mike

Old January 23rd 05, 03:47 PM

Michael Horowitz wrote:
You know the rolling mechanics tool chests that provide some work room
on top? you see these in any A&P shop.

I don't need one, so I don't wanna spend much $$$, but if I could
build one for nothing, it would be fun to have.

Anyone built their own rolling tool chest? - Mike

Well I knew a cabinet maker that did that.

If you called the labor free, all the parts cost just slightly less
than a stamped steel commercial chest, but it was a thing to behold.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old January 23rd 05, 05:56 PM
Dan Luke

"Henry Q. Bibb" wrote:
You can't build one for what they cost on sale.

No kidding? I'll have to look around. Sears? Home Depot? Auto parts
shop? - Mike

Take a look at Harbor Freight. They've got a nice one for reasonable
price.

You can get better quality cheaper at a pawn shop.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 23rd 05, 07:58 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Michael Horowitz wrote:

No kidding? I'll have to look around. Sears? Home Depot? Auto parts
shop?

Best deals are usually this time of year. Check out Lowes, Sears, and the Depot.
I've never seen a real good deal at an auto parts shop. Lowes carries a brand
called "Kobalt" that is excellent. IIRC, a recent post stated that these are
made by Snap-On.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old January 23rd 05, 08:05 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Henry Q. Bibb" wrote:

Take a look at Harbor Freight. They've got a nice one for reasonable
price.

In my opinion, Harbor Freight doesn't sell very good quality stuff (except for
the "name brand" items like Channel-lock). I never buy anything there if I need
for it to last. I remain pleasantly surprised by a drill press I bought from
them (which keeps right on going), but most of the items I've bought either
didn't work very well or didn't last very long.

Old January 24th 05, 06:12 AM

On other thing to do is check with you local Snap-On and MAC tool guy.
Virtually all of the dealers take tool boxes in on trade on new ones.
Every so often the district they work out of has a sale of all the
used one. Sometimes it's widely published and sometimes it's a
word-of-mouth thing. It's worth a try to find one there.
Craig C.