Blakesburg Antique Aircraft Association Fly-In

Old September 1st 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Blakesburg Antique Aircraft Association Fly-In

Mary and I spent a most enjoyable day at Antique Airfield in
Blakesburg yesterday, at the annual Antique Aircraft Association Fly-
in. This is a private, by-invitation-only event, and they hold it in
just about the most inaccessible area possible. (It's a 2-hour drive
for us, and we're always glad to let the GPS tell us how to find it --
it's held at a farm strip in the middle of as close-to-no-where as it
gets.)

Despite this, people flock here from across the continent, to see
antique aircraft in a setting that has changed little since the plane
were built, some 80 years ago. It is soooo different from Oshkosh,
being completely non-commercial, and absolutely low key.

The weather here has been stunning, with light winds, crystal clear
skies, low humidity (finally!), and pleasantly warm temperatures --
and early attendance was very good. This year was even more fun than
normal, with a contingent of five aircraft flying in from Iowa City,
all friends of ours. We also hooked up with famed Amelia Earhart
researcher and author, Ann Pellegreno, which led to some VERY
interesting converations...

I managed to catch a little video of some of the Iowa City pilots
arriving -- see it (and some pix) he
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2007_blakesburg_fly-in.htm

If you ever get a chance to attend this very special event, don't
hesitate. (Ryan, are still interested in coming down?)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 1st 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected][_2_]

If you ever get a chance to attend this very special event, don't
hesitate. (Ryan, are still interested in coming down?)

I'd love to, but family obligations have really put the smack down on
extra-curricular flying lately, with a 5 month old at home. I'm toying
with the idea of selling my 172 and going open-cockpit biplane!
But I will have to pass, despite my inner desire to jump in and go
now, it is gorgeous outside!!!
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it!

-Ryan

Old September 1st 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I'd love to, but family obligations have really put the smack down on
extra-curricular flying lately, with a 5 month old at home. I'm toying
with the idea of selling my 172 and going open-cockpit biplane!
But I will have to pass, despite my inner desire to jump in and go
now, it is gorgeous outside!!!
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it!

Understand completely. Other than one big flight to Michigan for my
sister's 60th birthday, we've barely left the ground since Oshkosh.
Busy, busy, busy.

I'd like to say "there's always next year", but Blakesburg is one of
those gems that, I'm afraid, may not survive much longer. AAA
(unlike EAA) has not made provisions for its founder's demise, and
he's older than dirt. Because of their profoundly anti-commercial
stance, there is no profit in running the show, so...

Most of the people at Blakesburg are wondering what will happen when
old Bob flies west... Some think his kids will carry on, but no one
really knows. Long story short: Don't wait too many more years, if
you want to see it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA