Hope for the future

Old November 25th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Hope for the future

Boiling that down, during the school year, there are (round numbers):
2000 + 170 + 1500 = 3670 foreign-born people in a city of 63,000, or
about 6% of the population. If Jay meets 17 citizens a day in
cosmopolitan Iowa City, chances are good he'll meet somebody from WAY
out of town.

Dang, Don -- slow day at the office?

;-)

Don't forget the hotel part. We do a lot of business with University
folks who come to Iowa City for a semester from (for example) Japan or
Great Britain. This is a really fun part of the biz, because we get to
see foreign nationals the way they *live* -- not just the way they want
to appear on the street.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 25th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article . com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Don't forget the hotel part. We do a lot of business with University
folks who come to Iowa City for a semester from (for example) Japan or
Great Britain. This is a really fun part of the biz, because we get to
see foreign nationals the way they *live* -- not just the way they want
to appear on the street.

Drifting this thread...
Do you take any/many of those visitors for airplane rides to show them
the countryside?
Old November 25th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

john smith wrote:

Our government provides funds to take care of them for one or two years,

darn, there was federal money to take care of immigrants for one or
two years, and you only tell me that a week from completing my
naturalization? I wish I had known :-)

--Sylvain
Old November 25th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Don Tuite wrote:

The University of Iowa is justifiably prestigious in science and the
arts, particularly letters.

ok, I didn't know that. So it is indeed one of the immigrants
magnets in the country.

--Sylvain
Old November 25th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 11:36:35 -0800, Sylvain wrote in
:

So it is indeed one of the immigrants magnets in the country.

Los Angeles seems to be the main one according to this e-mail message
I just received from an evangelical friend:

From the L.A. Times

1. 40% of all workers in L.A. County (L.A. County has 10.2
million people) are working for cash and not paying taxes. This
was because they are predominantly illegal immigrants, working
without a green card.

2. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal
aliens.

3. 75% of people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are
illegal aliens.

4. Over 2/3 of all births in Los Angeles County are to illegal
alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal, whose births were paid for by
taxpayers.

5. Nearly 25% of all inmates in California detention centers
are Mexican nationals here illegally.

6. Over 300,000 illegal aliens in Los Angeles County are living
in garages.

7. The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles
are most likely illegal aliens from south of the border.

8. Nearly 60% of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.

9. 21 radio stations in L.A. are Spanish speaking.

10. In L.A. County 5.1 million people speak English.
3.9 million speak Spanish.
(There are 10.2 million people in L.A. County).

(All the above from the Los Angeles Times)

Less than 2% of illegal aliens are picking our crops,
but 29% are on welfare.

Over 70% of the United States' annual population growth
(and over 90% of California, Florida, and New York)
results from immigration.

The cost of immigration to the American taxpayer in 1997 was,
(after subtracting taxes immigrants pay), a NET $70 BILLION/
year, [Professor Donald Huddle, Rice University]. The lifetime
fiscal impact (taxes paid minus services used) for the average
adult Mexican immigrant is a NEGATIVE number.

29% of inmates in federal prisons are illegal aliens.

If they can come to this country to raise Hell and demonstrate by
the thousands, WHY can't they take charge over the corruption
in their own country?

We are a bunch of fools for letting this continue.

THE U.S. VS MEXICO

On February 15, 1998, the U.S. and Mexican soccer teams met at
the Los Angeles Coliseum. The crowd was overwhelmingly
pro-Mexican even though most lived in this country. They booed
during the National Anthem and U.S. flags were held
upside down. As the match progressed, supporters of the U.S.
team were insulted, pelted with projectiles, punched and spat
upon. Beer and trash were thrown at the U.S. players before and
after the match. The coach of the U.S. team, Steve Sampson said,
"This was the most painful experience I have ever had in this
profession."

Did you know that immigrants from Mexico and other non-European
countries can come to this country and get preferences in jobs,
education, and government contracts. It's called affirmative
action or racial privilege. The Emperor of Japan or the
President of Mexico could migrate here and immediately be eligible
for special rights unavailable for Americans of European descent.
Corporate America has signed on to the idea that minorities and
third world immigrants should get special, privileged status.
Some examples are Exxon, Texaco, Merrill Lynch, Boeing, Paine
Weber, Starbucks and many more.

DID YOU KNOW?

Did you know .. that Mexico regularly intercedes on the side
of the defense in criminal cases involving Mexican nationals?

Did you know .. that Mexico has NEVER extradited a Mexican
national accused of murder in the U.S. in spite of agreements to
do so? According to the L.A. Times, Orange County, California
is home to 275 gangs with 17,000 members, 98% of which are Mexican
and Asian. How's your county doing?

According to a New York Times article dated May 19, 1994, 20
years after the great influx of legal immigrants from Southeast
Asia, 30% are still on welfare compared to 8% of households
nationwide. A Wall Street Journal editorial dated December 5,
1994 quotes law enforcement officials as stating that Asian
mobsters are the "greatest criminal challenge the country
faces." Not bad for a group that is still under 5% of the
population.

Is education important to you? Here are the words of a teacher
who spent over 20 years in the Los Angeles School system.
"Imagine teachers in classes containing 30-40 students of widely
varying attention spans and motivation, many of whom aren't fluent
in English. Educators seek learning materials likely to reach the
majority of students and that means fewer words and math problems
and more pictures and multicultural references."

WHEN I WAS YOUNG

I remember hearing about the immigrants that came through Ellis
Island . They wanted to learn English. They wanted to breathe
free. They wanted to become Americans. Now, far too many
immigrants come here with demands. They demand to be taught in
their own language. They demand special privileges ...
affirmative action. They demand ethnic studies that glorify
their culture. NOW ..
Old November 25th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
Sylvain wrote:

john smith wrote:

Our government provides funds to take care of them for one or two years,

darn, there was federal money to take care of immigrants for one or
two years, and you only tell me that a week from completing my
naturalization? I wish I had known :-)

You had to be Ethopian and be practice a particular religion.
Old November 25th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Do you take any/many of those visitors for airplane rides to show them
the countryside?

Not as many as we did the first couple of years. I think we used to be
a bit more open and excited about our long-term guests, and tended to
"take them under our wing" more than we do now.

Now, after seeing so many come and go, and knowing that in 10 or 13
weeks we'll most likely never see them again, it's harder to get
attached to 'em like we used to, although there are exceptions.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 26th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

Do you take any/many of those visitors for airplane rides to show them
the countryside?

Not as many as we did the first couple of years.

You see one stalk of corn, you've seen them all.

Future of Glass Goose? geo Home Built 16 May 2nd 04 10:37 PM
Still there is always HOPE... X98 Military Aviation 0 March 21st 04 03:48 PM
Military hasn't given up hope on Scott Speicher Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 11th 04 11:51 PM
UNMANNED, THE WAY OF THE FUTURE Larry Dighera Piloting 11 November 28th 03 05:02 PM
Hope you make it to our fly-in Gilan Home Built 0 September 7th 03 04:46 AM