Question for Jim Wier (or other electrical guru)

Old January 7th 05, 03:17 AM
Jon A.

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:47:13 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Mike Rapoport wrote:

The maximium draw of the avionics (speaker on, transmitting on both coms)
is
20A, the continous draw (not transmitting) is under 15A. I realize that
the
max for *continous* use is 22A with 12ga, but how much overload is
permissible for short term use (long enough for the avionics CBs to pop.

You should design the system such that the maximum load that continues for
more
than a second or two is no more than 80% of the breaker capacity. This is
intended to prevent deterioration of the breaker due to frequent operation
at
temperatures close to the trip point.

Design for wire is a different matter, since the heat will not cause the
wire to
deteriorate until you get it very hot. The risk with wire is that an
overload
will cause a fire by melting the insulation. I don't know how far you can
go and
still avoid this, but it should be well above 20 amps. I know that
"delayed
action" breakers in home wiring situations allow temporary surges of up to
25%
of the rated capacity.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.

Thanks. I was hoping for a rule like: "It is permissible to load Tefzel
wire over its (35C) continous rating by XX% for up to XX seconds". It seems
that no such "rule" exists.

BTW I am not going to rewire my certified airplane but I was under the panel
lubricating some bowden cables for the cabin heat and noticed two wires with
the same origin and destination points which got me to thinking "Why". I am
also going to be building a Moose and so I am interested in all this kind of
stuff.
I appreciate the information.

Mike
MU-2
Helio Courier

That's for redundancy. One breaks, the other handles it. My current
avionics panel was wired professionally some years back. When I
upgraded the avionics, I found this beautiful job of double wiring,
both sides. I wish I would have repeated it, but I didn't. If you're
building a Moose, go for it, but there's no need to do a double feed
to the buss, especially when you're getting up there in the 12 gauge
range.

Old January 7th 05, 03:34 AM
RST Engineering

You do understand, don't you, that when you bottom post a five line answer
to fifty lines of repeated drivel that we've all read several times, that
your pearls of wisdom are generally just trashed before we get down to them.

Please, people, SNIP.

Jim

Old January 7th 05, 03:55 AM
Mike Rapoport

Can you give me the figure number that you are looking at?
Thanks

Mike
MU-2
Helio Courier

Mike Rapoport wrote:

Thanks. I was hoping for a rule like: "It is permissible to load Tefzel
wire over its (35C) continous rating by XX% for up to XX seconds". It
seems
that no such "rule" exists.

Not exactly true. My copy of AC 43.13-1A (I should've looked there first)
contains a chart that can be used to determine the minimum wire size for
both
continuous and intermittent loads. If you're going to be building an
aircraft,
best pick up a copy. This chart is used to size wire to prevent excessive
voltage drop or to prevent overheating.

Normally you take the load in amps, length of wire, and voltage and read
off the
size. Working backwards, 12ga wire shorter than 24' long will carry an
intermittent load of about 45 amps at 28 volts (the scale is not very
precise).
The charts don't go down to 2' long pieces of wire.

Disclaimer: I'm not used to working with this chart. Hope I'm reading this
correctly.

Old January 7th 05, 04:30 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Thank you for finally saying (?) this. Will you folks please snip or just
refrain from copying message text entirely?

Thank you, {|;-)
Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old January 7th 05, 04:54 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Jon A." wrote in message
[...]

I'd be surprised if it was for redundancy since if one breaks and shorts it
will require shutting off all the avionics or else it will start a fire
since it is unprotected. The current goes from the battery to the master
contactor to the avionics contactor to the avionics bus where the first
circuit breakers appear. It was professionally wired too.

Mike
MU-2
Helio Courier

Old January 7th 05, 12:59 PM
Jon A.

If one breaks and shorts, the beaker pops and the circuit is dead. If
one is loose or breaks and doesn't short because it well bundled, then
it's done the job.

And let's not forget to either snip or top post, or the feds will
arrive at your hanger to help you.

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 04:54:02 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

.. .

Old January 7th 05, 11:57 PM
Matt Whiting

Jon A. wrote:
If one breaks and shorts, the beaker pops and the circuit is dead. If
one is loose or breaks and doesn't short because it well bundled, then
it's done the job.

And let's not forget to either snip or top post, or the feds will
arrive at your hanger to help you.

You meant snip and bottom post.

Matt

Old January 8th 05, 12:55 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Mike Rapoport wrote:

Can you give me the figure number that you are looking at?

Figure 11-7A, entitled "Conductor chart, Intermittent flow". Located in section
3 after paragraph 444 in my copy.

Old January 8th 05, 04:37 AM
Mike Rapoport

I have that chart but I am unclear on how it applies to my question. I
think it is only telling me how long a particular guage wire can be if
operated at a given amperage and voltage, given a specified voltage drop and
an operating temp of 20C. I think it says that if I load a 12ga wire with
30A at 14V at 20C the wire can be a maximium of 16 feet long if the voltage
drop is limited to 1V. It also doesn't define intermittent. A 50% duty
cycle could be an hour on and an hour off but I think that would be
considered continous for the purpose of specifyine a wire size.

Mike
MU-2
Helio Courier