Mobile Aviation Weather

Old November 1st 07, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Felix

Default Mobile Aviation Weather

Hi Everyone,

I've found that I always want to look up METARs and TAFs when not in
front of a computer. So I wrote a Mobile website to do get this info
for me straight from NOAA.

I thought it would also be useful to others. So here is the URL:
awx.mobi Its a free service and no registering needed to use it. Just
goto that URL on your phone and you'll be able to get METARs TAFs and
the current national Radar image.

I'm working on other information as well like state by state radar,
airport runway lengths, freq...etc.

This is all in beta...I'm working on this at my spare time. But
updates will be coming.

If you have any problems like your phone isn't loading the site. Then
send an email to me at felix at bepilot.com and tell me your phone
model and ill add support for your phone.

Suggestions questions and comments also welcome at the above email
address.

Thanks!

Felix

Old November 1st 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I have been wondering if more than that could be done. I know there
are experiments with war flying for wifi.
I have wondered though if a volunteer network of wifi
hotspots ,accessible to pilots while in the air,could be established
to pull down TAF's, METAR's, nexrad and such.
It would be an alternative to having to subscribe to xm radio's
weather service.

Old November 1st 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Nov 1, 7:03 am, Felix wrote:

[...]

What's wrong with aviationweather.gov? That's what I use on my cell
phone and I've never had a problem. Maybe you're using a 1980's cell
phone?

-Robert

Old November 1st 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Robert M. Gary wrote:

What's wrong with aviationweather.gov? That's what I use on my cell
phone and I've never had a problem. Maybe you're using a 1980's cell
phone?

-Robert

Bandwith. Some do pay by the KB.

Old November 1st 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Nov 1, 9:20 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

What's wrong with aviationweather.gov? That's what I use on my cell
phone and I've never had a problem. Maybe you're using a 1980's cell
phone?

-Robert

Bandwith. Some do pay by the KB.

Most of us are spending between $100-$300/hr to opeate our aircraft.
Spending $20/month or so for extra bandwidth in order to get up-to-
date weather information seems pretty small.

-Robert

Old November 1st 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote

What's wrong with aviationweather.gov? That's what I use on my cell
phone and I've never had a problem. Maybe you're using a 1980's cell
phone?

In the air, you are not supposed to use a cell phone, though.

Could someone set up a WiFi type of system, and get fellow Hams to make a
network of internet enabled ham band links?

That would be pretty cool, even it was just in your local area. To do it on
a wide scale would be a pretty large task, and no doubt, someone would want
to get their regulations on it.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 1st 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Morgans wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote

What's wrong with aviationweather.gov? That's what I use on my cell
phone and I've never had a problem. Maybe you're using a 1980's cell
phone?

In the air, you are not supposed to use a cell phone, though.

I was able to keep an AT&T Edge network connection up to 7,000 feet this
weekend on my iPhone.

Old November 1st 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Felix

On Nov 1, 7:03 am, Felix wrote:

[...]

I've used aviationweather.gov and it's a great site. But it's not
really made to be used on your phone. I use a Treo 750 with Verzion
(high speed EVDO connection) and it still takes a while to load. I'm
making awx.mobi (or m.airwx.com) work quickly on a whole range of
phones. Even the 1980s model :-)

-Felix

Old November 1st 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Felix

On Nov 1, 7:03 am, Felix wrote:

[...]

Plus i plan to extend it so that you can file flight plans on your
phone with your duats account! And other neat features. So if people
really like it, they can suggest other things they need and i'll put
them in as well.

-Felix

Old November 1st 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"Felix" wrote in message
ups.com...

I've used aviationweather.gov and it's a great site. But it's not
really made to be used on your phone. I use a Treo 750 with Verzion
(high speed EVDO connection) and it still takes a while to load. I'm
making awx.mobi (or m.airwx.com) work quickly on a whole range of
phones. Even the 1980s model :-)

-Felix

Plus i plan to extend it so that you can file flight plans on your
phone with your duats account! And other neat features. So if people
really like it, they can suggest other things they need and i'll put
them in as well.

Just checked it out Felix--works great! I don't have a "SmartPhone" but I do
have a Mobile Web 2.0-capable phone and have been looking for a site like
this. Thanks!

Specifically, I've been looking for TAFs, METARs, and flight plan filing
since their simple text-based format works well with the limited screen real
estate and low bandwidth.

For soem other ideas, Winds aloft might be nice and can be driven by the
airport code. Others like area forecast, airmets/sigmets, and PIREPs I
imagine would be a bit harder since they'd have to cover a larger area and
tend to be text-heavy.

Good luck with the project.

Marco