mode c intermittent

Old September 5th 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

Default mode c intermittent

"John Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

"The Visitor" wrote

Now for new aircraft, dual transponders are the way to go.

Perhaps I am missing something obvious, but why would you need (or want)
two
transponders for new aircraft?

Required if you fly above FL180 isn't it?

No.

Old September 5th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"John Smith" wrote

Required if you fly above FL180 isn't it?

Sorry, but I don't normally think in terms of being "that high" above the
ground, unless it is in a long metal tube with only a couple tubes hung
below the wings. g

What is required at that altitude, and won't that one work down low with the
rest of us piston powered mortals?
--
Jim in NC

Old September 6th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Perhaps I am missing something obvious, but why would you need (or want)
two
transponders for new aircraft?

Required if you fly above FL180 isn't it?

Do have a FAR reference for that?

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old September 6th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

Especially for new. A second one is a negligible cost increase. To have
a transponder fail enroute, is a real problem these days. When mine was
giving me grief it really messed up my trip. I would put a second one in
my seneca but I will soon be ordering a new plane and it will have dual
transponders. I don't fly vfr when on lnog trips.

John

Old September 6th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 22:50:53 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote:

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Perhaps I am missing something obvious, but why would you need (or want)
two
transponders for new aircraft?

Required if you fly above FL180 isn't it?

Do have a FAR reference for that?

91.215(b)(1) requires transponders in class A airspace. What I've
seen is that most pressurized aircraft and turbines in general have
tow installed - does ATC routinely bounce you out of class A with inop
transponders, thus the commonality of 2 in those applications? Can't
seem to find a requirement for dual installations tho.
Old September 7th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Peter Clark" wrote in message
On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 22:50:53 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote:

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Perhaps I am missing something obvious, but why would you need (or
want)
two
transponders for new aircraft?

Required if you fly above FL180 isn't it?

Do have a FAR reference for that?

91.215(b)(1) requires transponders in class A airspace. What I've
seen is that most pressurized aircraft and turbines in general have
tow installed - does ATC routinely bounce you out of class A with inop
transponders, thus the commonality of 2 in those applications? Can't
seem to find a requirement for dual installations tho.

They can, but probably won't. ATC can still track a target radar only so
long as coverage permits, although there will be no altitude displayed and
must be queried.

Old October 4th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

skyav8r wrote:

Howdy,
I have an Aeromech 8140B20 encoding altimeter with a KT76 transponder.
Mode C is intermittent with ATC. Is it more than likely this is an
altimeter problem or transponder problem? Sometimes when it is not
reporting, i cycle the transponder off then back on and it starts
reporting again. Thanks in advance,
Brian
Also, sould an aeromech and aerosonic encoding transponder interchange
as far as the connections are concerned?

Old encoders do go intermittent. I finally replaced mine to cure the
problem. But mine would not always come back alive upon a recycle, or it
would report all sorts of weird altitudes to ATC.

I bought another transponder on e-bay to try a "swap test". When swapped
the problem persisted. You might try swapping with an airport buddy who
has the same unit to try to cheaply isolate the problem. Since these
units slide out of their trays, the swap is usually easy.

If it is the encoder, you of course have to replace or overhaul the
altimeter, which I believe may be a bit more costly.

Good Luck,
Mike

mode c intermittent skyav8r Owning 0 September 4th 08 01:32 AM
Intermittent failures all weekend Ron Natalie Piloting 5 March 25th 07 05:25 PM
Air Force investigating intermittent engine failure on aircraft. SPLASH-TWO Aviation Photos 25 November 23rd 06 06:34 PM
New transponder mode S vs. mode C Tom N. Soaring 39 November 7th 06 07:40 AM
C182 - Intermittent Alternator WinstonCup Owning 9 November 12th 04 12:22 AM