navion questions (ping Ron Natalie)

Old September 12th 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default navion questions (ping Ron Natalie)

Hi Ron (and other Navion owners),
I presently own a Grumman Traveler, I'm kinda mulling over purchasing
a retract and the first plane that springs to mind is a Navion since
it also has a sliding canopy. I'm wondering if you could answer some
questions about the plane. I keep my plane at my house, I have a 1700
ft grass airstrip, no obstacles to speak of save a 3 ft tall barbed
wire fence at the S end of the field. The field elevation is about
1400' asl so summer density altitude can sometimes get up to 3000'.
Would a E185 bird be able to get out of here ok with 2 people and 1/2
fuel? I have a climb prop and tuned exhaust on the Traveler and
usually limit myself to 1 passenger and 1/2 fuel unless it's a cool
day. What's the parts situation like for a Navion? Can you keep the
canopy open in-flight? Before you did the re-engine what did your
annuals usually run costwise? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and
assist in the process. Think anyone would be kooky enough to want to
trade for a Traveler? I know it's a buyers market (there's an
understatement).

Thanks,
David Gilley
Old September 12th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

David, there is a Navion for sale at my airport, KAVQ, in Marana, AZ. I can
get you contact info if your interested.

--
Best Regards,
Mike.

http://flickr.com/photos/mikenoel/

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

Old September 15th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sep 11, 11:36*pm, wrote:
Hi Ron (and other Navion owners),
*I presently own a Grumman Traveler, I'm kinda mulling over purchasing
a retract and the first plane that springs to mind is a Navion since
it also has a sliding canopy. I'm wondering if you could answer some
questions about the plane. I keep my plane at my house, I have a 1700
ft grass airstrip, no obstacles to speak of save a 3 ft tall barbed
wire fence at the S end of the field. The field elevation is about

David,

You need advice from someone like Ron N. You need a users group.
You need to have your eyes wide open.

Like E powered Bonanzas, you will need to be in charge of taking care
of this airplane. Most of the mechanics who might work on it have
never seen one before, so you will have to be the defacto expert.

One that is not in good condition could result in a years long
restoration
project with little payoff.

Check props carefully; if they are like the E powered Bonanzas, there
are some models covered by ADs that will cost as much as the airplane
restore.

Be sure you are ready for this.

Bill Hale, BPPP instructor

1400' asl so summer density altitude can sometimes get up to 3000'.
Would a E185 bird be able to get out of here ok with 2 people and 1/2
fuel? I have a climb prop and tuned exhaust on the Traveler and
usually limit myself to 1 passenger and 1/2 fuel unless it's a cool
day. What's the parts situation like for a Navion? Can you keep the
canopy open in-flight? Before you did the re-engine what did your
annuals usually run costwise? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and
assist in the process. Think anyone would be kooky enough to want to
trade for a Traveler? I know it's a buyers market (there's an
understatement).

Thanks,
David Gilley

Ping: Margy Natalie Morgans[_2_] Piloting 2 October 18th 07 11:55 PM
Ping: Ron or Margy Natalie RST Engineering Owning 0 August 16th 06 07:44 PM
PING Margy Natalie Jay Beckman Piloting 6 June 12th 06 05:15 PM
Ping Ron Natalie Flyingmonk Piloting 8 December 31st 05 05:03 AM
For Ron Natalie Tarver Engineering Instrument Flight Rules 2 February 5th 04 02:21 AM