Power Flarm Display

Old December 22nd 12, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Power Flarm Display

On Friday, December 21, 2012 12:44:19 PM UTC-8, Richard wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:58:53 PM UTC-8, glen wrote:

On Sunday, December 9, 2012 6:42:27 PM UTC-5, SteveB_Z5 wrote: I'm thinking about getting a Power Flarm brick. What do users think of the display? Sun and shade readability? Thanks, Steve How is the Flarm display on a PDA using See You or the Ilec SN 10 display.

Glen,

SeeYou Mobile displays PowerFlarm and ADS-B targets as smaller gliders, with climb rate and altitude. When you lose Flarm lock a dot remains for the time you specify on the setup page. One can fly to the dot and zoom into the thermal track. You can color by altitude or make the glider larger or smaller. Warnings are white box across the top and the lady alerts you of traffic. "Traffic 5 oclock 50 feet low".

Richard

www.craggyaero.com

Richard, how well the flarm track features works in your experience? Does it really capable of providing a thermal track, giving that the signal gets frequent drops when thermaling?

Ramy
Old December 23rd 12, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Saturday, December 22, 2012 1:07:56 PM UTC-8, Ramy wrote:
[...]

Ramy,

Using SeeYou Mobile PNA on my Ultimate Le it works very well. When you lose lock on a glider a dot remains. You can set the time the dot will remain in the software. Fly to the dot and zoom in. I use a Nav Box that is assigned a zoom in function and one with a zoom out function. I have used Powerflarm in two contests with about 20 gliders equiped in each contest, and have about 300 flying hours using PowerFlarm. I really don't see dropout and when I do zoom in I see the thermal track. You get a good thermal track as it is recorded I beleive every second. The dot also has the altitude and last climb rate so I am assuming that many times the lock is lost as the glider leaves the thermal. Sometimes the dot is not in the same place as the thermal track but when flying to it and zooming in you will find it.

thanks,

Richard
Old December 23rd 12, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

[...]

I don't think you necessiliary lose a lock when thermaling, you just don't get alerts. I really don't remember ever seeing the dot during thermalling only the gliders. Mostly I would see the Dots out 4 to 6 nautical miles, when they get out of range. Other times you just see the gliders circling.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old March 16th 13, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

My Butterfly 57mm display is running firmware V.2.9.4. FLARM promised in December that the "next PowerFLARM release which will come soon in the new year" will upgrade displays without using the special Butterfly cable. The only PowerFLARM release I can find is V2.40 from July 24, 2012. This of course is older than the V2.71 that was used to get the PowerFLARM IGC flight recorder approval.

QUESTIONS
1) Does V2.71 have the display updating code?
2) Can one download V2.71 from somewhere? If so, what's the URL?

-John, Q3

On Monday, December 17, 2012 2:43:38 PM UTC-5, Evan Ludeman wrote:

You guys do know about this, yes? (From external display manual)

"Updates

Update through PowerFLARM®

After Q4/2012 it will be possible to update the displays through any PowerFLARM® unit directly without the need for a special cable."

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Old March 17th 13, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Yes. There is a beta version which works well, but I think it is not public. Not sure why.

Ramy
Old March 17th 13, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Interesting and encouraging. Hopefully the beta will be released publicly soon.

When you say "works well", do you mean that it updates the display without special cables, as well as doing the FLARM anti-collision and logging work?

I did find version 2.60 from Oct 2012. For some reason (maybe the formatting on the PowerFLARM.us site) I missed seeing it yesterday.

-John, Q3

Old March 18th 13, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:35:16 AM UTC-4, John Carlyle wrote:
Interesting and encouraging. Hopefully the beta will be released publicly soon.

When you say "works well", do you mean that it updates the display without special cables, as well as doing the FLARM anti-collision and logging work?

I did find version 2.60 from Oct 2012. For some reason (maybe the formatting on the PowerFLARM.us site) I missed seeing it yesterday.

-John, Q3

On Sunday, March 17, 2013 1:53:35 AM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:

Yes. There is a beta version which works well, but I think it is not public. Not sure why.

Ramy

2.60 adds (non igc approved) flight logging but not the display update pass through. I flew with 2.60 today. My only complaint about log file transfer is that it's blind since I use a USB extension and I can't see the little blinking light on my Core unit. Flarm guys **please** give us some way to monitor file xfer on the butterfly display.

Other comments... lots of adsb traffic visible on ClearNav today, most in the flight levels of course, but two contact down around 6k - 7k. Tens of miles range. Right now, CN displays these adsb targets as other *gliders*. I've put in a suggestion about that. Sadly, my mode c/s pcas range on powerflarm still stinks, it's one or two miles *at best*. Saw a bizjet rip by at less than 2 miles. Not a peep :-(.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old March 18th 13, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 3/17/2013 6:03 PM, Evan Ludeman wrote:
My only complaint about log file transfer is that it's blind since I
use a USB extension and I can't see the little blinking light on my
Core unit. Flarm guys **please** give us some way to monitor file
xfer on the butterfly display.

How about the light on the USB stick? It should blink while files are
being downloaded, and stop when it's done. That's how I know CN is done
downloading the IGC file.

email me)
Old March 18th 13, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:02:10 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 3/17/2013 6:03 PM, Evan Ludeman wrote:

My only complaint about log file transfer is that it's blind since I

use a USB extension and I can't see the little blinking light on my

Core unit. Flarm guys **please** give us some way to monitor file

xfer on the butterfly display.

How about the light on the USB stick? It should blink while files are

being downloaded, and stop when it's done. That's how I know CN is done

downloading the IGC file.

I'm using el cheapo 4 GB half size USB drives for soaring, like these: http://tinyurl.com/c722utl, no lights.

CN gives feedback from display, lets you know what's happening. Flarm should do likewise. My $0.02.

T8
Old March 18th 13, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Yes, the 2.7 beta works well for updating powerflarm display without the cable, for IGC and Flarm traffic.

Ramy