How did you install your FLARM brick and/or ADS-B Out?

Old November 19th 19, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Default How did you install your FLARM brick and/or ADS-B Out?

As an add on question to this topic, I currently have a Flarm core installed and am installing a Trig TT22 / TN72 for 2020 ADS-B compliance.

My question is, once the Trig transponder is installed, what configuration changes should I make to the Flarm?

I just started reading the Flarm manual, and thought this discussion relevant, so I'm asking....

One change I understand is the ICAO codes should be set to match in both.

I am very technically adept. I'll be going through the manuals, but thought I would raise this question here as well.

Old November 19th 19, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Yep, that was just done. In fact the TT22 and TN72 should be arriving at my home tomorrow from Mid Avionics. Fully up to date.
Thanks
Old November 19th 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Any notes on what configuration changes should be made to Flarm core.
Once the installation of the Trig transponder is complete?
Old November 19th 19, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 11:33:07 AM UTC-8, Mike N. wrote:
As an add on question to this topic, I currently have a Flarm core installed and am installing a Trig TT22 / TN72 for 2020 ADS-B compliance.

My question is, once the Trig transponder is installed, what configuration changes should I make to the Flarm?

I just started reading the Flarm manual, and thought this discussion relevant, so I'm asking....

One change I understand is the ICAO codes should be set to match in both.

I am very technically adept. I'll be going through the manuals, but thought I would raise this question here as well.

The ICAO code should match. That's true for FLARM used with any Mode-S transponder and FLARM, not just ADS-B Out. But even without either I would hope folks are using the aircraft's ICAO address as the ID.

.... if for no other reason this makes it easier to know the aircraft ID if you go missing and folks need to invoke FLARM SAR. Digression on FLARM SAR....

Not specifically related to this, but a reminder: You should also register your contest ID with FLARMnet using that ICAO address so other folks can more easily ID you... that also helps confirm folks have the right ID for your glider if FLARM SAR is used.

What's FLARM SAR? It's an adjunct to other search and rescue technology. FLARM units record periodic data on other FLARM units they see, that's what is used to do range analysis using the online FLARM tool for example. It can be useful if gliders are flying in mountainous or other regions with poor radar, ADS-B or OGN coverage and for whatever reasons the glider does not have inReach or Spot or similar devices or they are not working. Everything you need to know to invoke FLARM SAR is at https://flarm.com/wp-content/uploads...2/SAR_Text.pdf

FLARM SAR was used with the crash of the Duo Discus last year flying out of Truckee where Sergio Colacevich and Jim Alton tragically lost their lives. FLARM was able to construct part of the flight path towards the location of the crash, using data from one other glider. While not a help in that situation it could have been useful to exclude having a missing glider crew that needed a SAR response. Thanks to the folks at FLARM for a very quick response on that, and for Ramy Yanetz for chasing down FLARM log files from nearby gliders. And in this case it showed its use a a backup, it appeared that the SPOT tracker in the glider may have been accidentally turned off after testing on the ground before the flight. All very tragic and two great folks that all of us in the region will miss. Please lets try to learn and improve from that.

Since FLARM SAR does not seem well known in the USA I would ask clubs and glider operations to start talking about it more to raise awareness. Again, pilots can help by checking their FLARM ID is configured to their glider ICAO address, and that the FLARM is set up on FLARMnet... again makes it easier to find you if bad things happen without confusion about the FLARM ID you are using... and make sure you can download the FLARM log file *from your FLARM unit* so you can help others...

One of the nice things happening in Region 11 as well is Philip Lee and other folks working to install OGN receivers at popular gliding locations. Lots of Kudos to PASCO for funding those units. And I know this is trickling down into Region 12 as well. And again OGN provides SAR capabilities for FLARM equipped gliders if they are in line of site range of an OGN receiver. I believe Tom Serkowski is looking at installing OGN as well as FlightAware ADS-B receivers near Inyokern. And other clubs like the Soaring Club of Houston Association already have FlightAware receivers (free from FlightAware) at their location. More technology than you can poke a stick at... but good stuff with a little bit of though/understanding/planning.

Old November 19th 19, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at 1:07:12 PM UTC-8, Mike N. wrote:
Any notes on what configuration changes should be made to Flarm core.
Once the installation of the Trig transponder is complete?

You just need to tell the FLARM you have a Mode-S transponder (important you say it's Mode-S not Mode-C) And see how things go.

On the TT22 Setup side as I've been suggesting for a while now, I would select that you have a 1090ES receiver (i.e. your PowerFLARM with ADS-B option). That "capability code" gets broadcast by the TT22 and used by the FAA ground infrastructure to work out wether to broadcast ADS-R or TIS-B traffic data for your aircraft (i.e. so you can see other aircraft seen by the FAA ground systems that have UAT-Out or only a transponder (and not 10990ES Out)).

Currently PowerFLARM does not decode ADS-R or TIS-B but that is things FLARM is actively working on. So you might a well set your ADS-B Out that you have 1090ES In so it's ready for that PowerFLARM ADS-R and TIS-B support.

Old November 20th 19, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Thanks, good data.
Old November 21st 19, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 10:17:18 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Is it powered direct or by another instrument?
Did you install a dedicated fuse?
Did you install a dedicated off/on switch or is it slaved?
Do you use a dedicated GPS antennae or split with another instrument..
Do you ever have the in-flight need to turn it off?
If you have both, why would you fly with one on and not the other?
If necessary, how is the Trig -2X and the TN-72 software updated?

Thanks for your reply.

I refuse to install flarm, because I consider that company to be actively obstructing the adoption of adsb in gliders, by diverting money better spent on adsb, and by not allowing flarm traffic displays to accept non-flarm-format inputs. My glider has a Trig 22 and TN72 and a scout adsb-in sending data to the foreflight on my kneepad iphone.