BA609 Flys Again!

Old July 24th 05, 04:45 PM
Jim Carriere

CTR wrote:
Some one wrote about ten years ago that the tiltrotor is like a four
wheel drive Jeep. The Jeep makes a lousy car and a motorcycle can
travel off road much better. Early Jeeps were also so expensive you
could buy a nice car and a motorcycle for less than the cost of a Jeep.
Despite these facts, early civilian Jeeps did sell. Slow at first,
but with each new Jeep customer a new use was discovered.

Maybe the same story will hold true for the tiltrotor BA609.

I hadn't heard this analogy before. What an interesting argument.
As you say, maybe the tiltrotor will turn out the same way.
Old July 26th 05, 03:23 PM
Helowriter

Well, there is an awful lot of money out there. People buy
Gulfstreams, Horizons, and other high-end jets to fly intercontinental
routes. There will be high-rollers with the resources to buy a tilt
rotor.

The BA609 opens a niche commercial market -- longer-than-helo range
trips with no regular airport at one end.

That said, I think there's a significant government market for a
smaller tilt rotor, and once the 609 gains acceptance, I think they'll
find a solid market.

HW