Famous Polish/Canadian Test Pilot dies!

Old February 11th 04, 02:03 AM
Ed Majden

Default Famous Polish/Canadian Test Pilot dies!

It is sad to report that famous Polish/Canadian CF-105 Arrow test pilot
has died as reported on this evenings CTV News. Jan flew with the RAF
during WWII emigrating to Canada after the war. He became AVRO Canada's
chief test pilot. First on the CF-100 where he was credited with a first,
breaking the sound barrier in a strait winged "jet" aircraft. He was chief
test pilot on the sadly cancelled CF-105 Arrow project.

Old February 11th 04, 02:17 AM
Dave Kearton

"Ed Majden" wrote in message
| It is sad to report that famous Polish/Canadian CF-105 Arrow test
pilot
| has died as reported on this evenings CTV News. Jan flew with the RAF
| during WWII emigrating to Canada after the war. He became AVRO Canada's
| chief test pilot. First on the CF-100 where he was credited with a first,
| breaking the sound barrier in a strait winged "jet" aircraft. He was
chief
| test pilot on the sadly cancelled CF-105 Arrow project.

This would be Jan Zurkowski ?

A fine aviator - sadly never saw him work.

Regards

Dave Kearton

Old February 11th 04, 02:47 AM
Ed Majden

"Dave Kearton"
This would be Jan Zurkowski ?

Yes! I inadvertently for got to include his last name, Jan Zurakoski..
Sorry.

Ed Majden

Old February 11th 04, 05:25 PM
Ken Duffey

Ed Majden wrote:

"Dave Kearton"
This would be Jan Zurkowski ?

Yes! I inadvertently for got to include his last name, Jan Zurakoski..
Sorry.

Ed Majden

Was it he I read quoted in a magazine many years ago ??

He was test pilot for Glosters - IIRC - and is supposed to have said 'They
think I know f**k nothing ! - they are wrong - I know f**k all !!!'

It was either him - or some other Polish pilot.

If any none - English-speaking readers need an
explanation....................

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Old February 11th 04, 06:41 PM
Brian Colwell

"Ed Majden" wrote in message
It is sad to report that famous Polish/Canadian CF-105 Arrow test

pilot
has died as reported on this evenings CTV News. Jan flew with the RAF
during WWII emigrating to Canada after the war. He became AVRO Canada's
chief test pilot. First on the CF-100 where he was credited with a first,
breaking the sound barrier in a strait winged "jet" aircraft. He was

chief
test pilot on the sadly cancelled CF-105 Arrow project.

I had the pleasure of meeting him when he flew into the airport I was
working out of, this was during the 70s, when he was instructing in
aerobatics ! and he would drop in for a coffee.

His contribution to Canadian aviation will not be forgotten.

BMC

Old February 11th 04, 07:23 PM
Ed Majden

"Oleg Terebov" wrote in message
Please make it clear: Jan Zurkowski or Jan Zurakoski

The correct spelling is "Jan Zurakowski" according to an internet
search.
He served with 234 and 609 RAF Squadrons in the UK during WWII. Do a search
for his name using 'google'. You will find some interesting stories about
his life and career.

Ed

Old February 11th 04, 09:04 PM
Dave Kearton

"Ken Duffey" wrote in message
| Ed Majden wrote:
| Was it he I read quoted in a magazine many years ago ??
|
| He was test pilot for Glosters - IIRC - and is supposed to have said 'They
| think I know f**k nothing ! - they are wrong - I know f**k all !!!'
|
| It was either him - or some other Polish pilot.
|
| If any none - English-speaking readers need an
| explanation....................

Not quite - the quote was from film Director Ingo Preminger in the '40s as
quoted by David Niven in "Bring on the Empty Horses"

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old February 11th 04, 09:27 PM
Oleg Terebov

Please make it clear: Jan Zurkowski or Jan Zurakoski

Old February 11th 04, 09:46 PM
Tex Houston

"Dave Kearton" wrote in
message ...
Not quite - the quote was from film Director Ingo Preminger in the '40s as
quoted by David Niven in "Bring on the Empty Horses"

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Wasn't the film director's name Otto Preminger? Ingo, who was his brother,
was an agent who later went into producing in a minor way.

Tex

Old February 11th 04, 10:01 PM
Dave Kearton

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

| "Dave Kearton" wrote in
| message ...
| Not quite - the quote was from film Director Ingo Preminger in the '40s
as
| quoted by David Niven in "Bring on the Empty Horses"
|
| Cheers
|
| Dave Kearton
|

| Wasn't the film director's name Otto Preminger? Ingo, who was his
brother,
| was an agent who later went into producing in a minor way.
|
| Tex

Hi Tex

I thought that myself and (to be honest) I haven't had time to grab my copy
and verify it. I re-read the book about a year ago and you may indeed
be right.

Cheers

Dave Kearton