First time passenger in a GA plane - Video

Old November 8th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default First time passenger in a GA plane - Video

I post this 8 minute video with the hopes others can share tips on
what they do to make first time passengers comfortable on their first
flight. Comments here or in the video most appreciated.

Video starts with me explaining the process from startup, to runup,
take off, cruise and landing trying to keep things in "English" Video
also includes in-flight reactions from the passenger.

Couple of things to note about the passenger. She is not a roller
coaster ride and doen't like heights. Because of this, I modified my
flying to half standard rate turns whenever possible and a steeper
then normal approach to not feel so close to the tree tops on short
final.

Interestingly enough, the camera doesn't show the "bouncing" but that
was due to me putting in flaps and transitioning from 10 knots winds
aloft to calm on the ground. Rather then explain "wind-shear", I just
blamed it on the smog: We had very, very minimal turbulence, something
seasoned GA passengers wouldn't think about but looking at her, she
was kinda getting green around the gills.

Video also includes intercom and ATC communications with a
"sightseeing request" from me to fly over my house.

While not her favorite thing she has done in life, she was ok with
it. Given a "goal" to go to New Orleans, I think she would go, but to
go boring holes in the sky, I don't think I will see her in the right
seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfDNuuakA5o
Old November 8th 09, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,
" wrote:

I post this 8 minute video with the hopes others can share tips on
what they do to make first time passengers comfortable on their first
flight. Comments here or in the video most appreciated.

From watching the video, I'd say I have pretty similar views on how to
best deal with a newbie passenger.

The main thing is to explain what you're going to do before you do
anything. A surprised passenger is an unhappy passenger. You were really
great with that on the video.

The thing with keeping the turns shallow is good too. That one depends a
lot on the individual. If I have someone who has indicated a "daredevil"
side, I'll be more aggressive, but with a nervous passenger I'll keep
the turns as shallow as reasonably possible.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old November 9th 09, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Æslop

Got any advice on getting a reluctant wife to fly?

Old November 9th 09, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Nov 8, 9:10*pm, "Æslop" wrote:
Got any advice on getting a reluctant wife to fly?

Divorce. JUST KIDDING of course as I have one (still do for IMC)

Not sure where you are based, but if you are in a warm climate, never
fly mid day. Always fly early morning or early evening just before
the sunset. Air is calmest then.

Why is your wife reluctant? Is it flying in general or GA planes.
Mine was due to turbulence so once I figured out the "best times to
fly" she is much more willing to fly with me knowing I am picking
times where I think she will be most comfortable. It must be severe
clear though as she did try clouds but didn't like 'em.

My wife is not a fan for night flying so I avoid it whenever
possible. If night flight is in order, it's the tail end of the
flight so it's easier to transition to.

My wife "thinks too much" on what can go wrong, but she also knows I
don't skimp on safety. Having our own plane helps a lot since
everything is familiar to her flight after flight unlike if you have
to rent various planes.

Talk things out, and NEVER say oops, crap, WTF when something is
amiss. Troubleshoot silently whenever possible. And of course, with
passengers, don't "surprise them" with any abrupt moves.

Hopefully others will chime in with other tips.
Old November 9th 09, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Curt Johnson[_2_]

Æslop wrote:
Got any advice on getting a reluctant wife to fly?

Have her ask her doctor for a prescription for generic Xanax.

The first time SWMBO flew with me, she was in tears. With the drugs, she
just calmly reads or watches a video, manages the water bottle, fixes a
few snacks. We're not quite up to scanning for traffic or listening to
ATC yet, but there is hope.
Once, I did a go around after gusting X winds blew the 182 so far off
the centerline. It creeped me out, but when we were on the ground she
just asked "Were we supposed to do that?".

Curt
Old November 9th 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Æslop wrote:
Got any advice on getting a reluctant wife to fly?

You cannot push people to fly. Some just cannot do it. My wife would fly
with me, so I was lucky. I had a friend that his wife would not step in
a plane with him. He had just got his private certificate. Thinking that
if she would go up with my wife and me she would go up with him - didn't
happen. She rode with my wife and me, but not her husband.

See if she would be willing to go with an instructor first without you?
Take baby steps.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old November 10th 09, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Æslop

wrote in message
On Nov 8, 9:10 pm, "Æslop" wrote:
Got any advice on getting a reluctant wife to fly?

Divorce. JUST KIDDING of course as I have one (still do for IMC)

I can't afford flying AND divorce. Kind of a catch-22 there :-)

Not sure where you are based, but if you are in a warm climate, never
fly mid day. Always fly early morning or early evening just before
the sunset. Air is calmest then.

Why is your wife reluctant? Is it flying in general or GA planes.

Yes. She flies "OK" on airlines. She just doesn't want to try a 182.

..

Old November 10th 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Æslop

"Curt Johnson" wrote in message
Æslop wrote:
Got any advice on getting a reluctant wife to fly?

Have her ask her doctor for a prescription for generic Xanax.

The first time SWMBO flew with me, she was in tears. With the drugs, she
just calmly reads or watches a video, manages the water bottle, fixes a
few snacks. We're not quite up to scanning for traffic or listening to ATC
yet, but there is hope.
Once, I did a go around after gusting X winds blew the 182 so far off the
centerline. It creeped me out, but when we were on the ground she just
asked "Were we supposed to do that?".

Not a bad idea. She has less aversion to drugs than small aircraft.