UK Rookie pilot training in USA

Old April 21st 05, 09:11 AM
Rookie

Default UK Rookie pilot training in USA

Hi There.

Been lurking for a while, and would be interested in peoples opinion
about a UK national getting JAA/CAA PPL in the USA.

I am thinking about using the Anglo American Aviation International
School in San Diego, CA. It is CAA cross certified, and lets face the
facts that learning to fly in California will be a fantastic
experiance!! Aside from that at $1.90 to the =A3 it is significantly
cheaper for the Brits to go to the US at the moment.

Anyone used this school? Are they any good?

Any other advice appreciated - I have already booked in for my JAA
Class 2 Medical, will get FAA Class 3 at the school, and yes - I have
applied for a student Visa from the US Embassy in London. Anything I
need to know?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Old April 21st 05, 11:17 AM
Cub Driver

On 21 Apr 2005 01:11:28 -0700, "Rookie"
wrote:

I am thinking about using the Anglo American Aviation International
School in San Diego, CA.

California is probably the most benign climate for summer training
(why is it that folks always think of this option in the summertime,
when AZ and FL are brutal?). But the air traffic around San Diego
would scare me. (I know nothing about the school or what airport it
uses.)

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old April 21st 05, 02:52 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Martin Hotze wrote:
Fingerprinting and clearance from the FAA/DHS for flight training.

The whole DHS screening thing is an expensive pain in the ass; were I to
do it again, I'd go to Canada.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old April 21st 05, 03:41 PM
Dan Luke

"Rookie" wrote:

I am thinking ...San Diego, CA.

It's expensive:

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/citycost1.html

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old April 21st 05, 04:46 PM
Rookie

Dan Luke wrote:
"Rookie" wrote:

I am thinking ...San Diego, CA.

It's expensive:

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/citycost1.html

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Thanks Dan. I live and work in Central London, UK so am used to paying
a fortune. The pain is eased with the current exchange rate.

Old April 22nd 05, 07:54 AM
Brian Burger

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Martin Hotze wrote:

Dylan Smith wrote:

Fingerprinting and clearance from the FAA/DHS for flight training.

The whole DHS screening thing is an expensive pain in the ass; were I to
do it again, I'd go to Canada.

What has to be done these days to be legal to fly in Canada as a foreigner
(European with a US PPL) - let aside currency issues like BFR and medical?

We don't have the "security" b*llsh*t the Americans do, at least!

is there huge work for holders of a US PPL to get the 'full' canadian
certificate/license? means: I'd have to fly some hours to become safe again, it
would make not much difference to pass an additional test and spend 100 or so
bucks for a bureaucratic act.

There's one short written test you'll need to write (the PSTAR) and you'll
have to have made 5 takeoffs & 5 landings in the last 6 months. That seems
to be it, pretty much.

Look here, and scroll down a little bit until you find Subsection 8
(Licence Issued On the Basis of Foreign Licence):
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Re...421.htm#421_26

Long URL, sorry!

If you're serious, I can put you in touch with one of the instructors at
my Flying Club, he's a Brit who got his UK lic. in Florida then came here
to get his Canadian Commerical & Instructors tickets. If anyone knows the
foriegn applicants stuff it'll be him! Our Chief Flying Instructor is also
on the ball about this stuff; we get a steady trickle of foriegn students,
it seems.

Brian
PP-ASEL/Night