Identifying a Canopy Blank's Glider Model

Old November 30th 20, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Identifying a Canopy Blank's Glider Model

We have an unused canopy blank (no frame) wrapped in paper in our club's hangar's attic. It is in very nice shape and has been stored there for years.. No one seems to know anything about it or where it came from. We would like to identify and potentially sell it.

The canopy is 78" long and 24" wide at the rear. Rather long and tapers to a narrow rounded nose like a DG's or Diamont's canopy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFA_Diamant).

A possible clue to the aircraft associated with this canopy is concerning the side window opening. First, there is only one opening which implies that it is for a single place ship. Second, the canopy has pre-drilled screw holes only located around the perimeter of the opening. This seems to preclude a Mecaplex window as there are no additional holes located aft of the opening for the rails.

Pictures of the canopy are available here; https://link.shutterfly.com/qI0hDPifPbb

Any idea?

- John (OHM)
Old November 30th 20, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

The window opening is 6-1/2" x 4-1/2".
Old November 30th 20, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 8:23:06 PM UTC-8, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
The window opening is 6-1/2" x 4-1/2".

Hi John,
It’s all in the curve......side view? Best way to check is to lay it over another ship. Yours is a good 10” longer than say the Standard Cirrus which is 68” long. I’d lay it over a DG and see how that looks. For reference the Standard Cirrus measurements a
Rear H -16”. Mid point H- 16”. Nose H- 8”
W- 24”. W-23”. W-20”
Overall length 68”

Hope this helps,
JJ
Old November 30th 20, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

JJ - Thanks for the comments.

Within the club there is the opinion that this is the rear section of the two piece canopy system for an RV airplane.

Anyone have any comments on that front?

Thanks, John
Old December 1st 20, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Have you contacted Van's?

Boggs
Old December 1st 20, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Monday, November 30, 2020 at 6:42:24 PM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
Have you contacted Van's?

Boggs

Contacting Vans or the Vans Airforce group is the next step.
Old December 1st 20, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Is the window cutout parallel to the bottom edge of the glass, or as an obviously offset angle? A couple of pictures of the front end would also be helpful.

As JJ suggested, a "camera on the floor, straight side view" would be helpful.

Possibly interested in purchasing said canopy.

Steve Leonard
Old December 2nd 20, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 6:35:37 AM UTC-8, Steve Leonard wrote:
Is the window cutout parallel to the bottom edge of the glass, or as an obviously offset angle? A couple of pictures of the front end would also be helpful.

As JJ suggested, a "camera on the floor, straight side view" would be helpful.

Possibly interested in purchasing said canopy.

Steve Leonard

Believe all of Vans stuff is side by side seating. It does kinda look like it may fit some of Burt Rutan’s designs, Early
VariEase, maybe? It could work on many sailplanes if the curve is correct. Most sailplane cockpits are about 24” wide, sides can be pulled in (or out) a bit, if necessary, but the side view curve must match.
JJ
Old December 2nd 20, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

JJ,

The RV-3 is exclusively a single seater with a rear canopy (two piece version) that could be what I have. There are also several other RV models that have a "centerline" seating arrangement and two piece canopies. See https://www.vansaircraft.com/which-rv-is-right-for-me/.

In the next few days I will have more/better pictures and more/better measurements. I will then ask for help with this identification conundrum from RV groups.

Maybe I will get really, really, lucky I'll find out its a P-51 canopy. Cha-ching!

Thanks, John (OHM)
Old December 2nd 20, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

John,

I am betting on Diamant. I have an RV-3 canopy in my garage, and it looks nothing like that. RV-3 canopy is blown bubble, with sort of a teardrop shape when viewed from above. Side view of the RV canopy, rises rapidly at one end, long, slow taper off to the pointier end. This looks to go up from the rounded end, then go closer to flat.

If the window cutout is level with the bottom, it is a Diamant canopy. If it is at a noticeable angle, it is likely an ASW-12 canopy.

P-51 canopy would be MUCH thicker, and would have flats with near 90 degree corners at the "open" end.

Steve Leonard

glider canopy Morris Carter Soaring 7 February 14th 20 12:13 AM
Escaping glider on the ground with stuck canopy? Steve Koerner Soaring 27 May 21st 19 04:06 AM
Std Libelle Low profile canopy blank [email protected] Soaring 0 November 7th 15 10:35 PM
Where to get a glider canopy in the US Bob Kuykendall Soaring 0 September 4th 08 01:16 AM
Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 20th 06 12:08 AM