Long winded venting about yEnc

Old July 13th 07, 07:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew-S

Default Long winded venting about yEnc

To all my Aviation News Group Friends, fellow aviation enthusiasts, aviation photographers and fellow denizens of the ABPA Newsgroup...

This argument is really getting old and tired. This time though I would even go so far as to say the two sides are actually trying to hurt each other with their words. It is no longer just a debate with valid points on BOTH sides, it seems to be almost a verbal war intent upon forcing each sides will upon the other...

Here are some simple truths for BOTH SIDES to consider, AND I DO MEAN REALLY CONSIDER!!! And not just dismiss as some idle venting.

To the Pro yEnc supporters...
If the group goes to a yEnc permissible stance, a vast number of members will no longer be able to view the images that you post. Many visitors to the newsgroup will leave, some will have valid reasons for their departure such as software, or personal discomfort with the software and no doubt a variety of other reasons. Some as they depart will make grandiose sweeping statements and feel they are making a statement against the evil yEnc, others will simply vanish without even a peep. To these departing members many of you will stick your noses in the air and say "so what..? they are in the stone age". To which my question is why did you bother posting them in the first place if you didn't want as many people as possible to see them? And for that matter in a newsgroup which has some many anti yEnc members why would you post in a such a controversial method? Are you yourselves making a statement or trying to mix it up? I won't even go into the "enlightenment issues" which make yEnc almost sound like a religion.

To the Anti yEnc supporters...
yEnc is simply just another system. There is no reason to be afraid of it, the internet is constantly evolving and this is just another aspect of that evolution. Many in the pro yEnc crowd have with varying degrees in tone suggested numerous software add ons and upgrades to the existing system. Many of which are no doubt well worth exploring. "So what I like what I have now and I don't want to change" is the response many will have. To which I should point out there are dozens if not hundreds of excellent image based newsgroups, some private some public, that for their reasons be it right or wrong have gone over to a yEnc permissible system. If you want to play in those newsgroups or have any aspirations of getting involved in those newsgroups you had better start trying to figure out a way of working with yEnc. Because they will not go back, and NOR SHOULD THEY because they as group have already decided the issue already. By the same token just because someone has a pro yEnc argument it doesn't make them an evil person, it means that they have an opinion THAT IS DIFFERENT TO YOUR OWN. Similarly just as I have accused the pro yEnc supporters of treating their preferred system of posting as a religion bent upon conversion, so too shall I accuse the anti yEnc crowd of targeting anyone who dares to voice a pro yEnc thought.

My past to the present...
In the past with mixed success I have attempted to bring peace to what with minor exception is one of the best NGs on the web. Some accused me of trying to control the group, some accused me of having an agenda of my own. Which in the later could be argued was true. That agenda was to bring peace and attempt to refocus the group upon what we all know and love which is aviation photography.

This time though as I am not even a regular poster anymore, I am not even going to attempt to moderate any of the numerous discussions regarding yEnc. The two sides are just too full of their own self righteous wrath and arrogance. Neither side is prepared to give an inch (or millimeter if you prefer the metric system) and BOTH SIDES seem hell bent on forcing the other side to submit to their will.

So let the fur fly, let the name calling begin, and watch the flames rise as this once great newsgroup self destructs. Which is my prediction if the bickering ON BOTH SIDES CONTINUES.

Andrew

Old July 13th 07, 11:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
BlueCumulus[_2_]

well spoken Andrew,

there sure are many visitors of this newsgroup like me
scanning the entries with Outlook Express. I searched
once a tool to enable to watch yEnc pictures with OE
but I never succeeded. I have no clue which tool might
solve that puzzle. That's why I appreciate each photo
sent to this newsgroup NOT encoded with yEnc.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju52 Airport Mollis Switzerland.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	14047
Old July 13th 07, 12:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jim

I have been using OeyEnc Loader with some success. Not great but it seems
to work.

Old July 13th 07, 12:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
MaXiLeeCH

"BlueCumulus" wrote in message
well spoken Andrew,

there sure are many visitors of this newsgroup like me
scanning the entries with Outlook Express. I searched
once a tool to enable to watch yEnc pictures with OE
but I never succeeded. I have no clue which tool might
solve that puzzle. That's why I appreciate each photo
sent to this newsgroup NOT encoded with yEnc.

Chris

Hi Chris,
I have found just such a tool!
It's called OeyEnc
Basically, its a plugin that allows Outlook Express to view and use yEnc
encoded files on the fly.

I use it here with great success and have yet to find a Yenc encoded file
that I cannot open as per normal in OE.
All the details on it are explained he
http://www.mutexed.com/code/OeyEnc/

I hope you like it as much as I do.

Whilst I can and do view the yEnc encoded files in this group with OeyEnc,
I am of the opinion that if the majority of users of this group dont want
yEnc here than I am OK with that decision.

--

Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF
Atherton

Old July 13th 07, 01:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
B-Hate-Me

"Andrew-S" I-Still-Hate-Spammers@Sorry-I had-to-leave-for-bit.com wrote in message ...
To all my Aviation News Group Friends, fellow aviation enthusiasts, aviation photographers and fellow denizens of the ABPA Newsgroup...

This argument is really getting old and tired.

Seems as if you are the only one arguing.

Can one person argue with himself?

Old July 13th 07, 07:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
heavyhorses

"MaXiLeeCH" wrote in message

[...]

Given the fact that most posters of yenc manage to encode a crap bmp image
into about 50 parts and just flood out the entire group why bother.

They then complain why people flame them !!!

Old July 13th 07, 08:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Rich W

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:40:07 +1000, "BlueCumulus"
wrote:

well spoken Andrew,

there sure are many visitors of this newsgroup like me
scanning the entries with Outlook Express. I searched
once a tool to enable to watch yEnc pictures with OE
but I never succeeded. I have no clue which tool might
solve that puzzle. That's why I appreciate each photo
sent to this newsgroup NOT encoded with yEnc.

Chris

Have you tried using Free Agent? I use it for usenet posts, but you
can also use it for e-mail if you like. I've found it an excellent
programme. Not Trolling so don't have a go at me!!!!

Rich.
Old July 13th 07, 10:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

There's an old saying, "Where there is smoke there most likely is fire."

In short, if my basic newsreader, (Mozilla), which I have been using for
years in all its versions cannot be made to read graphics by means of a
simple plug in, it ain't gonna work for me.

Until that happens, count me in the "anti" crowd...

JT

Old July 13th 07, 10:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Herman

"Grumpy AuContraire" schreef in bericht
There's an old saying, "Where there is smoke there most likely is fire."

In short, if my basic newsreader, (Mozilla), which I have been using for
years in all its versions cannot be made to read graphics by means of a
simple plug in, it ain't gonna work for me.

Until that happens, count me in the "anti" crowd...

JT

I'm with you.

Regards,

Herman

SNIP

Old July 14th 07, 12:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
russell[_2_]

"Herman" wrote in message

"Grumpy AuContraire" schreef in bericht
There's an old saying, "Where there is smoke there most likely is fire."

In short, if my basic newsreader, (Mozilla), which I have been using for
years in all its versions cannot be made to read graphics by means of a
simple plug in, it ain't gonna work for me.

Until that happens, count me in the "anti" crowd...

JT

I'm with you.

Regards,

Herman

SNIP

Well I actually installed Xnews and yDecode last night just to see if
Baldrick was posting crap, but I couldn't get any posts or my emails.
So they were both deleted and I still assume Baldrick is posting CRAP....

AOPA Expo, meeting JayB, getting stuck in Lancaster on the way home,fulfilling the commercial certificate long solo x-c...long Jack Allison Piloting 6 November 19th 06 02:31 AM
water wing tank venting Udo Rumpf Soaring 8 January 5th 05 02:48 PM
Just venting about my V35's annual/engine replacement Peter R. Owning 11 November 27th 04 05:40 PM
Venting... Marc Ramsey Soaring 1 November 21st 03 08:40 PM
SZD-55-1 Fuselage Venting WDM Soaring 1 August 1st 03 07:04 PM