Fake military guys & the Stolen Valor Act of 2005

Old August 24th 08, 12:28 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Fred the Red Shirt

Default Fake military guys & the Stolen Valor Act of 2005

On Aug 23, 9:31 am, Ed Rasimus wrote:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:42:44 +0100, "William Black"

1. Why do the fakers do it?

For the same reason people steal. They wish to have something of value
which they did not earn.

While they may have devalued military service in general and heroism
in particular they believe as well that they accrue some benefit by
claiming exceptional combat valor, courage and credentials.

As hard as it may be to do, I think they devalue only themselves.

They cannot devalue that to which they have no claims.

--

FF
Old August 24th 08, 12:57 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Paul J. Adam

In message , William Black
writes
If you 'plug in' to the ex-service system you'll certainly come into contact
with people who will know, and there's no advantage in pretending you're
something you are not.

Exposing "walts" is one of the approved sports on the Army Rumour
Service, for example. It's just not wise to pretend to be what you're
not. Someone _will_ ask "so which office were you in, when you were with
MND(SE)?" and claiming "it was so classified I can't tell you" doesn't
work. The floorplan was known to all present, including who was allowed
into which corridors with what clearances.

(FWIW I was in Room G029 But that was in 2005 and they've doubtless
reorganised since then)

Back in this thread someone mentioned that someone pretended to be a MoH
winner.

Surely something like that would be exploded in seconds, it's not as if
there are that many of them. Certainly, in the UK, a VC winner would be
someone of note in the local community and someone claiming to be one who
nobody knew about would be liable to be checked out reasonably quickly.

What advantage accrues to someone in the USA if they pretend to have had a
distinguished military career?

Be fair, the US are a lot nicer to their servicemen than the UK is in
general and some silly sods may decide that being a "decorated hero" may
mean even _more_ benefits, trust and gifts than simply "having served".

I once got bought dinner by one Paul Lemmen, who claimed to have been a
PIRA brigade commander before he defected and started a new life in the
US, and in 2004 was given to wandering around Washington DC in US Army
uniform with brigadier-generals' rank tabs and licence plates before
heading out to Iraq to continue the feat. Last I heard of him he'd been
arrested and was in custody on assorted fraud and embezzlement charges.
He seemed to be able to make a nice living out of sheer brass neck and
claiming to be One of Our Boys, for a while at least. (He cost me
nothing: others who trusted him more, did rather worse)

I've only got one medal and it's only for "showing up, sticking around
and not screwing up _too_ much". Campaign medals cover a multitude of
sins.

--
The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its
warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done

pauldotjdotadam[at]googlemail{dot}.com
Old August 24th 08, 01:40 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
CJ Adams

Paul J. Adam wrote:

I've only got one medal and it's only for "showing up, sticking around
and not screwing up _too_ much". Campaign medals cover a multitude of sins.

So do I. So many people have seen me as a unimedalist that
I couldn't claim much greatness. Keeps us honest, doesn't it?

Cheers
CJ Adams CD & scar
Old August 24th 08, 02:10 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
tankfixer

In article ,
says...

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

Chuck and Mary Shantag, mentioned in the original post, are the
premier sleuths in digging up the facts on these folks. The poseurs
and wannabes are despicable and should be prosecuted to the maximum
extent of the law. Chuck and Mary do a great job of that. They come to
the annual River Rats reunions and are well supported by all of us.

You miss my point.

1. Why do the fakers do it?

They are mentally ill or they are crooks. Or both.

2. Why do people like the Shantags spend their lives looking for them?

Why don't you ask him ?
What is soo odd about standing up for something or someone who no longer
can do so for themselves ?

The fakes dishonor those who died and those who came back injured.

While there may be some false glamour is the pretence it's surely only a
matter of time before they're exposed, and as for chasing them, don't
these people have a life? If you want to spend your time doing good works I
can think of several that are more rewarding.

What you consider rewarding may very well be considered worthless by
others.
Why did Jane Goodall spend her life in the jungles of Africa ?
Why do school teachers spend their lives in a classroom when in many
districts the administration does it's best to thwart their efforts to
teach ?

--
Meddle ye not in the Affairs of Dragons, for Thou art Crunchy and taste
Goode with Ketchup.
Old August 24th 08, 03:07 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
The Horny Goat

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:24:40 -0700 (PDT), frank
wrote:

I rather like the taken away in handcuffs by the local sheriff on the
front page of the paper. In small towns, that's the kiss of death.

If you ever google the guy that will show up in the local paper
section for a long, long time.

I'm not so sure about that.

My mother was killed in a rather spectacular car crash in January 2005
and there were zillions of Google hits at the time. I was interviewed
by 3 reporters that week and I can assure you that it was no picnic.
(They were fair and I knew they were doing their job but still...)

I checked about two weeks ago and nada.

So don't make that assumption - I'm assuming by "for a long, long
time" you mean longer than 3 1/2 years...
Old August 24th 08, 03:18 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
La N

"Jack Linthicum" wrote in message
On Aug 23, 1:29 pm, "Bob McKellar" wrote:
Whatever happened to the resident RAM IRA operative/USAF General?

Bob McKellar

I think that's the boy, the last I heard he was discussing housing
accommodations with a local arm of the law. Probably let him go.

Now *this* is a guy who did what he did to "win friends and influence
people", and to relieve some individuals and governments of some $pare
change.

- nilita

Old August 24th 08, 03:19 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
La N

wrote:

I rather like the taken away in handcuffs by the local sheriff on the
front page of the paper. In small towns, that's the kiss of death.

If you ever google the guy that will show up in the local paper
section for a long, long time.

I'm not so sure about that.

My mother was killed in a rather spectacular car crash in January 2005
and there were zillions of Google hits at the time. I was interviewed
by 3 reporters that week and I can assure you that it was no picnic.
(They were fair and I knew they were doing their job but still...)

Geeze. I'm sorry ... I don't know what else to say ...

- nilita