FS Sage vario, Security chute

Old May 25th 10, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
4Z

Default FS Sage vario, Security chute

Spring cleaning! I have a newly rebuilt 80 mm Sage SV vario. I'd
like to trade it for a 57 mm Sage or sell for $600 OBO. Also have a
1979 Security 250 chute. Always well cared for, just passed
inspection and has a fresh repack, $500 OBO.
Old May 26th 10, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 25, 9:05*am, 4Z wrote:
*Spring cleaning! *I have a newly rebuilt 80 mm Sage SV vario. *I'd
like to trade it for a 57 mm Sage or sell for $600 OBO. *Also have a
1979 Security 250 chute. *Always well cared for, just passed
inspection and has a fresh repack, $500 OBO.

I've always been curious why anyone would use a vario with no audio
capability when there a less expensive electronic varios available.
You must like the Sage so can you explain how it is useful?

Andy
Old May 26th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On May 26, 11:29*am, Andy wrote:
On May 25, 9:05*am, 4Z wrote:

*Spring cleaning! *I have a newly rebuilt 80 mm Sage SV vario. *I'd
like to trade it for a 57 mm Sage or sell for $600 OBO. *Also have a
1979 Security 250 chute. *Always well cared for, just passed
inspection and has a fresh repack, $500 OBO.

I've always been curious why anyone would use a vario with no audio
capability when there a less expensive electronic varios available.
You must like the Sage so can you explain how it is useful?

Andy

I think the main two reasons for the Sage are quick response and the
fact that it will work if your power fails. Until fairly recently
audio varios
failed if your battery quit. The B400 and the optional unit for the
Tasman
do solve that problem, but if you've already got a Sage you already
have
a high quality backup for your main vario. Some people really love
them.

My new plane has a Sage at the top of the panel. It's taken some
work to get it useful -- I had to move the capacity bottle, replumb to
isolate it from the LX, and make a gust filter for it before it would
work in a reasonable fashion -- but it's fine for its purpose now.
The previous owner told me he mainly relied on it for thermalling.
(He also never flew in contests, needless to say.)

If money were no object I might redo the whole panel with a Tasman and
a different s2f vario, but that would be a lot more work than it's
worth.

-- Matt
Old May 27th 10, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

On May 26, 3:16*pm, mattm wrote:
On May 26, 11:29*am, Andy wrote:

On May 25, 9:05*am, 4Z wrote:

[...]

I second everything Matt said. I just replumbed my glider too to get
it performing better but did not do any type of gust filter for my
Sage (which I love) - how did you make a gust filter? Yes this is
hijacking the thread but then again it is keeping it near the top so
maybe the hijack will be forgiven?

Bruno - B4
Old May 27th 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Bruno if you do a search on "gust filter" in this group you'll get a
number of good hits on the subject.

I had to add a gust filter to my Sage (when I had one) and it was much
happier afterward!

2NO
Old May 27th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
4Z

On May 26, 9:29*am, Andy wrote:
On May 25, 9:05*am, 4Z wrote:

*Spring cleaning! *I have a newly rebuilt 80 mm Sage SV vario. *I'd
like to trade it for a 57 mm Sage or sell for $600 OBO. *Also have a
1979 Security 250 chute. *Always well cared for, just passed
inspection and has a fresh repack, $500 OBO.

I've always been curious why anyone would use a vario with no audio
capability when there a less expensive electronic varios available.
You must like the Sage so can you explain how it is useful?

Andy

It is useful for the obvious reason that I have a Borgelt for the
audio and the sage is my backup. I listen to the Borgelt but look at
the Sage. Damn good vario but won't fit in my present panel.
Old May 27th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 26, 4:39*pm, Bruno wrote:
- how did you make a gust filter? *

When I needed a gust filter years ago I made one by inserting a
cigarette filter into a short length of brass tube. It worked well.
Those that know my abhorrence of smoking will understand that it was
not easy for me to scrounge the cigarette.

Andy (GY)
Old May 27th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_35_]

On 27 May, 01:07, Tuno wrote:
Bruno if you do a search on "gust filter" in this group you'll get a
number of good hits on the subject.

I had to add a gust filter to my Sage (when I had one) and it was much
happier afterward!

2NO

The Sage manual (on their web site) says:

"When using the Sage variometer with a total energy probe, place one
or more of the enclosed pneumatic restrictors in series between the
static port on the variometer (marked "S", see #10) and the total
energy probe. This is to reduce the jumpiness caused by the noisy
signal generated by the total energy probe. "

Sage supplied two restrictors with each one I have, it is a very good
idea to fit one or both as the manual says! It might be easier to ask
Sage for a couple rather than cutting up tins or cigarette butts....

Fabulous varios and even with 3 batteries and solar cells these days I
like to have a pneumatic backup. My CV is about 20 years old and is
still the best there is - I have got through four flight computers in
that time. My CVA did have a problem, Sage said send it to them and
they would make it well again. Just got it back with a full service
and recalibration and a whole new updated glass fitting system - and
no charge. That's service!

Sage SV Vario for sale [email protected] Soaring 1 April 26th 08 04:55 PM
Sage cva vario manual? [email protected] Soaring 1 February 23rd 08 10:46 PM
FOR SALE: SAGE SV vario RW Soaring 3 March 13th 05 06:58 PM
WTB Sage Vario Sleigh Soaring 1 June 5th 04 02:55 AM
Sage Vario Robert Danewid Soaring 1 January 11th 04 07:38 PM