CCSC Region 6 South Contest Days 2 and 3

Old June 20th 12, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N11rdbird

Default CCSC Region 6 South Contest Days 2 and 3

Day Three – Contest Day 2
As can be seen from yesterday’s scores, we had one finisher in each class and enough distance by others to make it a devalued day. So day one of the contest is in the bag.
This morning the sun was shining early and the forecast offered us a good day of flying. Yes, Frank’s black cloud has lifted again. He called a 2.5 hour TAT to Moraine (4 mile radius), Eaton(12 mile radius), Double J (15 mile radius), Fricke (7 mile radius), then finish back at CCSC. The nominal distance was 121.29 miles with a maximum of 189.7 and a minimum of 55.17 miles. Frank, the sniffer, initially had difficulty climbing, but the day heated up quickly and launch of the Handicapped FAI class started at 12:42. Midway during the launch, Frank, using his laser designator indicated that the cloud bases were at 4248 feet MSL. The fleet continued the launch and very soon we heard people starting out on course. The weather held as forecast and the entire fleet made it around the course and returned. A boring day on the ground after yesterdays’ landouts but glad to see everyone’s enthusiasm for completing the day
Rolf

Day Four – Contest Day 3, Early Report
The started with bright sunshine and by noon we were seeing wisps and cu’s staring in the NW and SE quadrant. This happened to be where our weatherman (Frank) predicted the best soaring weather would be. Everyone was assigned Task A, a 3 hour turn area task with Oxford (32), a 10 mile radius, and Randolph County (36), a 25 mile radius, as turnpoints for a nominal distance of 142.47 miles. The min/max was 83.66 and 204. Sports class launched first and headed out on course.
Just before the Handicapped FAI gat was to open, another check with the airborne task advisors recommend a change to Task B since the weather was looking stronger to the SE. The CD took their advice and called for Task B with a roll call. Task B is also a 3 hour TAT but going to Brown County (5) with a 25 mile radius, then to Ronshauson (38) with a 25 mile radius, and then return.
At this time 2:55, Spot is showing most everyone out on course. We’ll see how things develop.
Rolf