Region 6 South Contest Summary

Old June 27th 11, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N11rdbird

Default Region 6 South Contest Summary

Weather conspired against all attempts by CD Andy McQuigg to get the
fleet gridded and out on task. In fact, the prognoses by Weatherman,
Frank Paynter was so continuously bad, we only gridded and got in the
air one day. Unfortunately on that one day, it became obvious that
with rain in all quadrants, no task was going to be possible and the
day was called. The weather did clear on Saturday, the last day of the
scheduled contest, after the contest had already been called. Several
members had flights over 250k, and, Oh, it rained again today,
Sunday).

Frank Paynter went into “Professor” mode, and presented four well
attended seminars. The first covered, Start Cylinders and Finishing
Tactics; then Weather and Flight Analysis; followed by Pee Tubes and
Map Preparation. The final day was a practical weather analysis and
interpretation for that day only to be followed by a complete rainout.

We did come across one interesting note: Jim Marks was flying the LS4
(J11) that won the Worlds in 1983. I can’t thank enough all our
volunteers who supported the effort and look forward to working with
our bored Scorer, Marcos Aranha; an underwhelmed Gary Adams, Ground
Crew; and all our volunteers on another contest.

Rolf Hegele
Contest Manager
Old June 29th 11, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary[_5_]

On Jun 26, 9:52*pm, N11rdbird wrote:
[...]

Can't say we didn't try.......You made a great effort Rolf. Much
appreciated. Andy was his usual self and fun to be around again. Next
year! Gary Adams