Articles

Old December 22nd 12, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Default Articles

It's the solstice, so you won't be doing much soaring... but you might
want to read about it.

I put two new articles on my webpage

http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john...m#safety_rules

"Team flying." Pilot to pilot radio communication will be allowed at
regionals this year. Some thoughts on how to make this innovation
work, and some hints on team flying.

The 2012 contest safety report. It's been a bad year for low-altitude
maneuvering. Accident review and some thoughts on steps we might take
to improve the situation.

I'm going to send "team flying" to soaring fairly soon, but I'm
curious to hear reaction from friends and the world of r.a.s. first.
That usually helps me to write better articles.

John Cochrane
Old December 22nd 12, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

PowerFlarm not required at competitions? I guess that PowerFlarm must already have 100% adoption on a voluntary basis.

Old December 22nd 12, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, December 21, 2012 7:44:27 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
PowerFlarm not required at competitions? I guess that PowerFlarm must already have 100% adoption on a voluntary basis.

Please, let's not start that again. We've been around this for hundreds of posts.

John Cochrane
Old December 23rd 12, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, December 21, 2012 5:07:33 PM UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:

I'm going to send "team flying" to soaring fairly soon, but I'm

curious to hear reaction from friends and the world of r.a.s. first.

That usually helps me to write better articles.

John Cochrane

John,
Did you know there is a bunch of interesting articles on that web link. OK seriously, thanks for posting, I never knew you have a website with all those articles. As far as the team stuff goes, and this is coming from a rank amateur, Im all for it. There was substantial mentoring going on at the last 2 contests I have been to (One even assigned mentors to all the beginners and those unfamiliar with the area) all before launching of course so whats the problem with getting some guidance in the air. You wouldn't want to see someone having their hand held around a course but I think some cooperation and concerted effort will add to the contest experience. Take a look at other forms of racing such as Nascar or NHRA Drag Racing and there is limited success without teamwork. I look forward to this.
Also, thanks for all the legwork and research on the 2012 contest safety article. Lets hope you don't have to write one for the 2013 season.
Best Holiday wishes to you and RAS

Old December 23rd 12, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Swagemakers[_2_]

From a European perspective its almost hard to understand what the big deal is about allowing team flying. Probably its just because it never occurred to me that radio communication could be banned. Its usually a lot more fun if you can share your frustration and joy on the spot with your team, even if not flying together or even in the same class. I'm sure you wont't regret it;-)
Old December 24th 12, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

If glider racing were an athletic endeavor like gymnastics or football then it would not seem inappropriate or out of the ordinary to recieve real time advice from others during competition.

But glider racing is a thinking endeavor, more like chess. It certainly isn't reasonable or acceptable for chess players to receive advise from others about how to get out of a predicament. Why is it reasonable for glider racers to get outside advise about what would be the best next move?

Only the brain(s) onboard should participate during actual competition. The US has it right in this case and should not yield to a bad idea even if others have.

Old December 24th 12, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Swagemakers[_2_]

For pure athletic reasons I agree. External advice will not help level the playing field. But most guys fly competitions because its fun and radio contact definitely helps enjoy our sometimes lonely sport.
Old December 26th 12, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rk

maanantai, 24. joulukuuta 2012 7.42.22 UTC+2 Steve Koerner kirjoitti:
If glider racing were an athletic endeavor like gymnastics or football then it would not seem inappropriate or out of the ordinary to recieve real time advice from others during competition.

But glider racing is a thinking endeavor, more like chess. It certainly isn't reasonable or acceptable for chess players to receive advise from others about how to get out of a predicament. Why is it reasonable for glider racers to get outside advise about what would be the best next move?

Only the brain(s) onboard should participate during actual competition. The US has it right in this case and should not yield to a bad idea even if others have.

What makes you think every advice you hear from the radio is useful?

My first lesson in comp. flying almost 2 decades ago was: Never believe a word you hear from the radio during competition. If there is some important things said, it is usually "coded" in a way that it is useless to anyone execpt the guy it was meant to: "Planned start time A+5min ", "Turn left 30 degrees after Z" etc. You'll learn the tricks in no time.
Old December 26th 12, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]

On Friday, December 21, 2012 7:07:33 PM UTC-5, John Cochrane wrote:
It's the solstice, so you won't be doing much soaring... but you might

want to read about it.

I put two new articles on my webpage

http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john...m#safety_rules

"Team flying." Pilot to pilot radio communication will be allowed at

regionals this year. Some thoughts on how to make this innovation

work, and some hints on team flying.

The 2012 contest safety report. It's been a bad year for low-altitude

maneuvering. Accident review and some thoughts on steps we might take

to improve the situation.

I'm going to send "team flying" to soaring fairly soon, but I'm

curious to hear reaction from friends and the world of r.a.s. first.

That usually helps me to write better articles.

John Cochrane

If someone wanted to cheat the radio ban all they would have to do is text each other. Rules are for fools. The less the better.

-Jim
Old December 26th 12, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_32_]

On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:43:37 AM UTC-5, rk wrote:
[...]

(The following is a repost as the first apparently didn't go. Sorry id it duplicates

If someone wanted to cheat the radio ban all they would have to do is SMS text each other. Rules are for fools. The less the better.