USA Competition Rules Changes Proposed for 2013

Old January 21st 13, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default USA Competition Rules Changes Proposed for 2013

Thanks to all who provided feedback during the comment period (which ended January 18). Small revisions have been made to the proposed changes and will be submitted to the SSA BOD for approval at the February 23rd meeting.

The revised document detailing the changes is available at:
http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ry%20Final.pdf

For the committee,
John Godfrey (QT)
Old January 21st 13, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Jan 21, 3:51*pm, "John Godfrey (QT)"
wrote:
Thanks to all who provided feedback during the comment period (which ended January 18). *Small revisions have been made to the proposed changes and will be submitted to the SSA BOD for approval at the February 23rd meeting.

The revised document detailing the changes is available at:
* *http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...20Summary%20Fi...

For the committee,
John Godfrey (QT)

Did you guys just add AT in Modern and Club Class? Wow!
Old January 22nd 13, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 21, 2013 5:19:54 PM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Jan 21, 3:51*pm, "John Godfrey (QT)" wrote: Thanks to all who provided feedback during the comment period (which ended January 18). *Small revisions have been made to the proposed changes and will be submitted to the SSA BOD for approval at the February 23rd meeting. The revised document detailing the changes is available at: * *http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...20Summary%20Fi... For the committee, John Godfrey (QT) Did you guys just add AT in Modern and Club Class? Wow!

It was there in the draft from the beginning. One of the reasons for doing the classes the way we did was to provide that possibility.
UH
Old January 22nd 13, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 21, 2013 7:06:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, January 21, 2013 5:19:54 PM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

On Jan 21, 3:51*pm, "John Godfrey (QT)" wrote: Thanks to all who provided feedback during the comment period (which ended January 18). *Small revisions have been made to the proposed changes and will be submitted to the SSA BOD for approval at the February 23rd meeting. The revised document detailing the changes is available at: * *http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...20Summary%20Fi.... For the committee, John Godfrey (QT) Did you guys just add AT in Modern and Club Class? Wow!

It was there in the draft from the beginning. One of the reasons for doing the classes the way we did was to provide that possibility.

UH

Also, I guess this is as good a place as any to note that this year's
Sports National is now open in both Sports and US Club class. A handful
of us have registered in US Club Class so far. Please, update your registration
if you want to compete in the Club Class. We need 12 to actually run
the class.

Thanks,
Matt
Old January 22nd 13, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 21, 2013 9:47:34 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, January 21, 2013 7:06:33 PM UTC-5, wrote: On Monday, January 21, 2013 5:19:54 PM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote: On Jan 21, 3:51*pm, "John Godfrey (QT)" wrote: Thanks to all who provided feedback during the comment period (which ended January 18). *Small revisions have been made to the proposed changes and will be submitted to the SSA BOD for approval at the February 23rd meeting. The revised document detailing the changes is available at: * *http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...20Summary%20Fi... For the committee, John Godfrey (QT) Did you guys just add AT in Modern and Club Class? Wow! It was there in the draft from the beginning. One of the reasons for doing the classes the way we did was to provide that possibility. UH Also, I guess this is as good a place as any to note that this year's Sports National is now open in both Sports and US Club class. A handful of us have registered in US Club Class so far. Please, update your registration if you want to compete in the Club Class. We need 12 to actually run the class. Thanks, Matt

The rules are not official until the BOD approves them in February. There is a long history of adopting rules as proposed by the RC.
The Mifflin folks will want to know what to expect so feel free to note youyr intentions.
UH
Old January 22nd 13, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RW[_2_]

On Monday, January 21, 2013 9:51:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

How about Perry ?
Will we have little handicaps there for FAI classes ?
Ryszard Krolikowski
Old January 22nd 13, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How about Perry ?

Will we have little handicaps there for FAI classes ?

Ryszard Krolikowski

That's up to organizers and CDs, with pilot input. The rules provide great flexibility for regional contests. The downside of flexibility is you have to think a bit about what you want.

Some of the many available options

Classic FAI classes: open, 18, 15, standard, 13.5. Senior, Junior, Feminine if you want.

Handicapped FAI classes. FAI class rules. Water ok or dry, at organizer discretion. Handicap ranges anything you want. Handicap ranges can and IMHO should overlap -- let pilots on the edge decide where they want to fly. You can stop handicapping at some point but still allow lower performance in as done with standard nationas.

Classes can be divided by pilot skill or ambition (length, difficulty or type of task, i.e. "leisure class" with 2 hour tasks vs. "seizure class" with 4 hour tasks, "assigned task class" vs. "TAT MAT class", etc.), organizational features (team / radio / mentoring / silent; wet / dry; drop a day vs. regular scoring) as well as by glider type.

Classic sports class

Multiple sports classes. Any handicap range you want. "US club" from 0.899 and below is fine. "US team club" is fine. "FAI club" is fine. "13.5 and less wingspan" is fine. "Below club" is one I wish we had more of -- all gliders whose handicap is greater than allowed on the US team club class list.

All of the above ideas for classes based on tasks, rules options, etc. are fine based on the rules. But it does mean CDs and CMs need to think a bit about what will be most attractive to their pilots, and pilots with strong opinions might want to talk to their CDs about what they want. I've already lobbied for radio usage at Perry!

John Cochrane
Old January 22nd 13, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Why do you need to lobby for radio and sage? I thought the 2013 rules will allow radio use.
Old January 22nd 13, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:19:40 AM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
Why do you need to lobby for radio and sage? I thought the 2013 rules will allow radio use.

The rules for 2013 permit pilot to pilot radio communication in regional contests without the previously required waiver. The organizers may choose to allow this or not and are permitted to establish procedures appropriate for their contest.
UH
RC Chair
Old January 22nd 13, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Jan 22, 3:06*pm, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:19:40 AM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
Why do you need to lobby for radio and sage? I thought the 2013 rules will allow radio use.

The rules for 2013 permit pilot to pilot radio communication in regional contests without the previously required waiver. The organizers may choose to allow this or not and are permitted to establish procedures appropriate for their contest.
UH
RC Chair

It will be interesting to see how this rule is received. 27% of pilots
were opposed to this rule. Are these pilots going to stay home or try
to make the best out of the situation and give it a try. I see good
arguments on both sides.

I did not see much in terms of implementation thoughts or guidance
e.g. are all pilots still required to listen on 123.3? I assume yes
since the other rule is still in place. Do we allow pilots to talk on
other frequencies than the 123.3? If so do we designate one or two of
them or is it free for all? Designated frequencies for a given contest
would be good for monitoring what is going on. I would like to know
who is flying in what group and how that translates to results on the
score sheet.

Most pilots don't have radios allowing them to listen to two
frequencies are these pilots going to tune out of 123.3 causing safety
issues. In the worlds as I understand each team is assigned their
frequency. Are pilots also required to listen to another frequency for
safety reasons. I assume this must be true at least during the start
and finish what about the task?

This is a subject that needs to be well thought through. I would
expect some guidance so we don't have wild west every contest doing
something else causing plenty of confusion.