Best all time fly boy pictures

Old February 24th 04, 07:03 AM
Richard Riley

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:31:35 GMT, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

:IIRC, the studio's behavior after the release of this film triggered
:Robertson's fight against the financial shenanigans the studios were using
:to shaft actors. Richard Riley probably has a better summary of that than
:I do....

That was actually just before "The Pilot" - it happened in 1977, the
movie was 1979. In fact, I'd guess that the reason the film was
co-written, directed and starred Robertson, for "Summit Studios" but
shot by New Line, was it was during the period that he was
blacklisted. What better time to do something completely on your own.

The "shenanigans" are detailed in the book "Indecent Exposure" by
David McClintick. It about how the head of Columbia studios, David
Begelman, was stealing money from the studio by cutting checks to
other people and forging their signatures. Robertson was one of the
forgees, found out about it, and brought it all to light, forcing
Begelman out. As a result of his stand up actions, he was (naturally)
blackballed for about 8 years. I once had a long talk with him, and
asked him about "Charlie" (an amazing performance). I asked if
winning the Oscar for it was the high point of his career, he said,
no, it was getting that crook Begelman. Begelman paid a fine and got
probation, and later got his record expunged after making a film on
the evils of drug use. Begelman killed himself in 1995, there's a
film about the whole thing that's been in development for years.

It set up the sale of Columbia to Coke, and thence to Sony, and thus
the move of Peter Guber and Jon Peters, the buy of the old MGM lot,
the Time/WB merger, AOL/TW, the fall of AOL - basically the entire
shape of the Hollywood today.

Full disclosure - I once TA'd a class for Norman Horrowitz, at the
time the head of international video distribution for MGM. He'd been
one of the Columbia execs under Begelman. He appears several times in
the book - each time someone tells him something very, very bad about
Begelman and he exclaims "Holy ****!" Thus, he was well known as Holy
**** Horrowitz. He autographed my copy of the book using the
nickname.
Old February 24th 04, 11:59 AM
acepilot

Was it "Fargo"? Oops, wrong story (Fargo is where the Northwest
pilots had a few cocktails before continuing their flight to Minneapolis
a few years back). Sorry, couldn't resist...

Scott

Richard Lamb wrote:
Ron Wanttaja wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:18:20 -0600, "plasticguy"
wrote:

And thatmovie about the Radio Station guy in a Hughes 500
chasing the Bank robbers in the Alouette 2.

"Birds of Prey" with David Janssen.

Ron Wanttaja

There was a Cliff Robertson film about an alcoholic airline pilot
that I saw once.

Great story AND great flying.

Somebody remember it for me?

ichar

Old February 24th 04, 02:45 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:59:27 +0000, acepilot wrote:

Was it "Fargo"? Oops, wrong story (Fargo is where the Northwest
pilots had a few cocktails before continuing their flight to Minneapolis
a few years back).

It was actually Moorhead, anyway... :-)

Ron "I ate at the Speakeasy" Wanttaja

Old February 25th 04, 03:30 AM
acepilot

R U sure? I wasn't aware that NWA flew into Moorhead (or is the Fargo
airport really located across the border into Minnesota?)...anyway, they
didn't make a movie called Moorhead (except possible an adult movie) so
nobody would've gotten the joke

Scott "escaped from MN to WI" L.

Old February 25th 04, 06:12 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 03:30:24 +0000, acepilot wrote:

R U sure?

Grew up in Fargo, went to North Dakota State University in Fargo.

I wasn't aware that NWA flew into Moorhead (or is the Fargo
airport really located across the border into Minnesota?)...anyway, they
didn't make a movie called Moorhead (except possible an adult movie) so
nobody would've gotten the joke

Fargo and Moorhead are twin cities, with Fargo on the North Dakota side of
the Red River of the North, and Moorhead on the Minnesota side. Hector
Field, the airport the airlines fly into, is in north Fargo. It actually
is right across the street from the NDSU campus...I used to fly between
classes.

The NWA pilots got schnockered at the Speakeasy, a lounge/restaurant in
south Moorhead. Was my favorite "fancy" restaurant, back when I lived
there. Had a bullet-ridden Ford in the lobby that was supposedly formerly
owned by Dillinger or some other famous gangster of the '30s. Think the
place closed a few years back.

Warping the discussion closer to the Subject line, I believe they filmed
some of the winter scenes for the John Wayne movie "Jet Pilot" at Hector
Field in Fargo.

And to put some homebuilding content into this, Fargo is just a few miles
West of Cassleton, where the ND state EAA fly-in is held every August.
It's also the home for the world's only flying full-scale ME-109 replica (a
homebuilt, of course).

Ron Wanttaja
Old February 25th 04, 06:20 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:12:50 GMT, I wrote:

Field, the airport the airlines fly into, is in north Fargo. It actually
is right across the street from the NDSU campus...I used to fly between
classes.

Which indicates how big that campus is... :-)

Ron "Let me rephrase that" Wanttaja
Old February 25th 04, 08:29 PM
RU ok

Richard Lamb wrote:

There was a Cliff Robertson film about an alcoholic airline pilot
that I saw once.

Great story AND great flying.

Somebody remember it for me?

ichar

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Piece of cake.

** THE PILOT **

More than you want to know at....

http://www.avweb.com/news/profiles/182957-1.html

Old February 26th 04, 03:41 AM
Jeff Schroeder

George Pal's "War of the Worlds". Northrop YB49 attacks Martian war
machines.

I think the SF film "This island Earth" had a lightplane sequence in it
as well.

And a favorite movie scene I remember (forget the title of the 1942 B film)
stars my home base of Brackett field in LaVerne, Ca. as a WWII training
field. It's rotating beneath a spinning fighter while the pilot pulls back
on the stick for all he's worth, as the radio voice screams "pull out".

Jeff

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:53:31 GMT, "Dale Alexander"
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to put together some kind of plan to increase our EAA chapter
membership. To that end, I would like to pick everyone's brains for their
favorite big screen movie that involves airplanes, either main to the

plot
or of any background significance. Examples would be like "Flying Tigers"
with John Wayne or "Indiana Jones and the Search for the Holy Grail".

Thanks in advance,

Dale Alexander
"Birds of Paradise" EAA 735
Paradise, Ca.

Old February 26th 04, 04:07 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:41:22 GMT, "Jeff Schroeder"
wrote:

I think the SF film "This island Earth" had a lightplane sequence in it
as well.

Not only several lightplane scenes, but an air-launch of a Stinson from a
UFO.

Rent the 'Mystery Science Theater 3000" version of this film....

Ron "Agggh, the Kingdome!" Wanttaja
Old February 27th 04, 05:56 PM
John Pelchat

wrote:

I think the SF film "This island Earth" had a lightplane sequence in it
as well.

Not only several lightplane scenes, but an air-launch of a Stinson from a
UFO.

Rent the 'Mystery Science Theater 3000" version of this film....

Ron "Agggh, the Kingdome!" Wanttaja

Some others to consider

1. Gathering of Eagles (SAC in the 60's)

2. High Road to China (plot is a little far-fetched, but man, what
aerial photography. It was stunning.

Blue skies

John