degaussing for compass

Old December 8th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

Default degaussing for compass

SOMEWHERE on the net I've seen somebody who rents out equipment to degauss
the area around where the compass goes.

In Cessna 180/185s the compass rests between a steel "V" brace and this
sometimes gets a magnetic set, or something. Does anyone remember who rents
out that equipment?

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Old December 8th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Campbell[_1_]

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 09:32:32 -0800, karl gruber wrote
(in article ):

SOMEWHERE on the net I've seen somebody who rents out equipment to degauss
the area around where the compass goes.

In Cessna 180/185s the compass rests between a steel "V" brace and this
sometimes gets a magnetic set, or something. Does anyone remember who rents
out that equipment?

Didn't Mike Pickett know someone who has something like that?

Old December 8th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
rq3

Sacramento Sky Ranch used to rent a degausser, or you can buy one at
Radio Shack (it's called a bulk tape eraser).

Old December 8th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, rq3 posted:

karl gruber wrote:
SOMEWHERE on the net I've seen somebody who rents out equipment to
degauss the area around where the compass goes.

In Cessna 180/185s the compass rests between a steel "V" brace and
this sometimes gets a magnetic set, or something. Does anyone
remember who rents out that equipment?

Be aware that a "degausser" can also be a "gausser", and magnetize the
object instead. It may be a more tricky task than it appears, since to
degauss the object one has to apply exactly the amount of magnetism of
opposite polarity. When erasing tapes, this isn't much of an issue,
because the recording process will overcome the relatively weak magnetism.
I'm not so sure about successfully degaussing steel bars near a compass,
and certainly not while they're installed.

Neil

Old December 8th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

karl gruber wrote:
SOMEWHERE on the net I've seen somebody who rents out equipment to degauss
the area around where the compass goes.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/crtfaq.htm#crtmdg might be of interest,
even though it is talking about color CRTs and not the metalwork around
a compass.

Matt Roberds

Old December 8th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Degaussing an airframe is not quite the same as degaussing a magnetic
tape or CRT.
I have "heard" of people doing it with a 110VAC line and a 100W light
bulb for a load.
Old December 8th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
nrp

It may be a more tricky task than it appears, since to
degauss the object one has to apply exactly?

Degaussers work from line power by generating a strong 60 Hz
alternating flux which is slowly decreased in intensity by removing the
degausser coil away from the subject. I'd remove the compass and any
electronics first though for that reason.

I'd think a strong or larger degausser could be temporarily made from a
500 ft coil of three conductor (plus ground) # 14 romex wiring cable.
The ends should be connected to make a 2000 ft coil, and the whole mess
tied together with tie wraps. As an alternate the whole mess could be
made with 3 conductor extension cords. & a suicide plug/socket
arrangement.

Has anyone ever tried something like this?

Neil

Old December 8th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
nrp

Recently, rq3 posted:

Old December 8th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

...I'd remove the compass and any
electronics first though for that reason.

I'd think a strong or larger degausser could be temporarily made...

Is degaussing an airplane considered by the FAA as something that an
owner/pilot could do?

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).