Soaring Sumo Wrestler

Old October 18th 04, 08:39 PM
John0714

Default Soaring Sumo Wrestler

I am not really a sumo wrestler, just about the size of one. But I did soar
once in a glider when I was a little smaller. I plan to be in California a
while in Dec. and Jan. Is there any good place a 350 lbs. guy could glide?

Old October 19th 04, 04:54 AM
BTIZ

about the only thing available these days would be someone with a 2-32.. I
would not even attempt a 2-33.. could not be able to move the stick back..
let alone being over MAXGW and the pilot would have to weigh about 50#

BT

Old October 19th 04, 11:27 AM
Incipient Sinner

There's always the cargo bay of the space shuttle.
I hear that they're going to start launching again
soon.

Glide angle's not great but Vne is pretty high.

Old October 19th 04, 01:29 PM
Jim Britton

Typed too fast there - I meant the back seat of a 2-32.

But although the total weight would be legal - is there
a max-per-belt rule that would prohibit it?

Old October 19th 04, 02:27 PM
Jim Vincent

But although the total weight would be legal - is there
a max-per-belt rule that would prohibit it?

In most cases there is a limit of 254 lb per belt. This is the approved load
capacity of the belt. The other two parameters to consider are max gross and
CG limits. It is rare that max gross accomodates 254+254 lbs. For example,
the G-103s at my club range from about 394 to 412 lb max carrying capacity.

Jim Vincent
N483SZ
illspam
Old October 19th 04, 06:43 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Jim Vincent" wrote in message
But although the total weight would be legal - is there
a max-per-belt rule that would prohibit it?

In most cases there is a limit of 254 lb per belt. This is the approved

load
capacity of the belt. The other two parameters to consider are max gross

and
CG limits. It is rare that max gross accomodates 254+254 lbs. For

example,
the G-103s at my club range from about 394 to 412 lb max carrying

capacity.

Jim Vincent
N483SZ
illspam

true in most cases, but jar22 specs have nothing to do with a 2-32

I was recently told of a similar ride given in a 2-32 using some mixture of
straps, however, I've also heard that the max back seat is supposedly
300lbs, but that may have been one specific airframe. That being said, some
ride operations shoehorn in by volume irrespective of weight. Estimates are
that 2-32's in one of the world's most popular ride venues range as high as
20,000-40,000 hours TTAF, sea air and all.

They just don't build them like that anymore.

Frank Whiteley