Just when I thought I'd heard it all:-)

Old November 22nd 05, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Just when I thought I'd heard it all:-)

It isn't really the fact that a lady passenger decided to open the door of a
737 in flight so she could have a smoke that bothers me.
It's the fact she got far enough into actually doing it to get a panel
warning light up front while the stews were shouting at her and apparently
doing little else!
Don't really know what the answer is for this one, as that door IS
accessible, but one thing's for sure.
They better start sending the stews back to security school for some
remedial education :-)))
Dudley Henriques

Old November 22nd 05, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, "Dudley Henriques" said:
Don't really know what the answer is for this one, as that door IS
accessible, but one thing's for sure.
They better start sending the stews back to security school for some
remedial education :-)))

Aren't those plug doors, and as such un-openable when the plane is
pressurized unless you're stronger than Superman?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
If I have to deal with another salesweasel, I shall scream, if only to

Old November 22nd 05, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Dudley Henriques" said:
Don't really know what the answer is for this one, as that door IS
accessible, but one thing's for sure.
They better start sending the stews back to security school for some
remedial education :-)))

Aren't those plug doors, and as such un-openable when the plane is
pressurized unless you're stronger than Superman?

From what I caught as the tape flew through the news screen, she just
managed to crack the handle; just enough to trigger the warning light up
front.
DH

Old November 22nd 05, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Aren't those plug doors, and as such un-openable when the plane is
pressurized unless you're stronger than Superman?

That's certainly the theory. Assuming a 5'x2' door (I know that's not the
actual measurement, but it's a nice conservative estimate), that's 1440
square inches. Assuming a 5 psi pressure differential, that's 7200 pounds
of force, much greater than any human can provide.

That assumes no mechanical leverage, of course. I don't know the details,
but just from watching the door mechanism in use, it appears that there's
*some* leverage available. But enough to allow a single human to overcome
the force required? Seems unlikely.

Even so, it doesn't seem as though it'd be a good policy to allow passengers
to go around messing with the aircraft doors.

I'm curious though...did this happen again? Or are we just rehashing the
event that happens months ago?

Pete

Old November 22nd 05, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
k.net...

From what I caught as the tape flew through the news screen, she just
managed to crack the handle; just enough to trigger the warning light up
front.
DH

Just to clear a bit..........this event seems to have occured in August. The
news tape seen today (while leaving the room actually) was an update on the
August event.
DH

Old November 23rd 05, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dudley Henriques wrote on 11/22/05 13:43:

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
k.net...

From what I caught as the tape flew through the news screen, she just
managed to crack the handle; just enough to trigger the warning light up
front.
DH

Just to clear a bit..........this event seems to have occured in August. The
news tape seen today (while leaving the room actually) was an update on the
August event.

She was sentenced yesterday, hence the news bit.

-Joe
Old November 23rd 05, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message ...
In a previous article, "Dudley Henriques" said:
Don't really know what the answer is for this one, as that door IS
accessible, but one thing's for sure.
They better start sending the stews back to security school for some
remedial education :-)))

Aren't those plug doors, and as such un-openable when the plane is
pressurized unless you're stronger than Superman?

Yes, "unopenable" in flight, and if the fuselage holds even a little pressure after landing, unopenable after landing.
However, the handles can be moved and I'm sure that the cockpit would know when someone unlatched them...

Old November 23rd 05, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, ".Blueskies." said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Aren't those plug doors, and as such un-openable when the plane is
pressurized unless you're stronger than Superman?

Yes, "unopenable" in flight, and if the fuselage holds even a little
pressure after landing, unopenable after landing.
However, the handles can be moved and I'm sure that the cockpit would
know when someone unlatched them...

That's my point:
Chance that someone grabbing the handle could do any damage: 0
Chance that they'd be discovered doing so: 100%
Danger to everybody else: 0

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Stay calm, be brave, and wait for the signs!"
Old November 23rd 05, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

That's my point:
Chance that someone grabbing the handle could do any damage: 0
Chance that they'd be discovered doing so: 100%
Danger to everybody else: 0

In a pressurized airplane. Back in the '80s an intoxicated male decided
he wanted out of a Twin Otter. He managed to get the door open but
people inside kept him from getting out. I heard that he did complain
later and wanted compensation for the shoe he lost.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html