Something missing on the missed?

Old April 13th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Something missing on the missed?

Geez! I can see why its hard to post here. I live in SoCal. Did IFR
missed approaches in EMT for my IFR ticket! Did the exact missed
approach proceedure mentioned!

Didnt mean to confuse anyone! Just relaying what really is true from
1st hand, actual experince with approaches with no charted hold, in
SoCal Airspace. I thought that was important - you know, like a Pirep!

Old April 13th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

Sorry ... what's a VFR Tower?

A tower where IFR services are provided by the overlying TRACON or Center.

Old April 13th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Newps" wrote in message
news

Sorry ... what's a VFR Tower?

Any tower that isn't at the main airport for class B or C.

What (if any) is the distinction?

(I'm thinking of the Phoenix area that has six or seven towers within the
Phoenix Class B)

--
Matt
---------------------

Old April 13th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Newps" wrote in message
news

Sorry ... what's a VFR Tower?

Any tower that isn't at the main airport for class B or C.

Hmmm......., Duluth Tower isn't the main airport for Class B or C airspace.
Neither are Rockford, Muskegon, or Waterloo Towers. Are these examples of
VFR Towers?

Old April 13th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Newps" wrote in message
news

Sorry ... what's a VFR Tower?

Any tower that isn't at the main airport for class B or C.

What (if any) is the distinction?

(I'm thinking of the Phoenix area that has six or seven towers within the
Phoenix Class B)

He's wrong, again. It's best to ignore him. VFR Tower is just another term
for Nonapproach Control Tower.

From the Pilot/Controller Glossary:
NONAPPROACH CONTROL TOWER- Authorizes aircraft to land or takeoff at the
airport controlled by the tower or to transit the Class D airspace. The
primary function of a nonapproach control tower is the sequencing of
aircraft in the traffic pattern and on the landing area. Nonapproach control
towers also separate aircraft operating under instrument flight rules
clearances from approach controls and centers. They provide ground control
services to aircraft, vehicles, personnel, and equipment on the airport
movement area.

Old April 13th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 04/13/06 09:18, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

Sorry ... what's a VFR Tower?

A tower where IFR services are provided by the overlying TRACON or Center.

So what are these IFR services? When I'm flying an IAP to my local Class D
airport, I get handed-off to the tower controller, who stays with me through
the rest of the approach, clearing me to land (if I get that far), separating
me from VFR traffic using radar, etc.. Are these not IFR services?

Thanks for any clarification ... I'm just fuzzy on the distinction ;-)
Old April 13th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

So what are these IFR services? When I'm flying an IAP to my local Class D
airport, I get handed-off to the tower controller, who stays with me
through
the rest of the approach, clearing me to land (if I get that far),
separating
me from VFR traffic using radar, etc.. Are these not IFR services?

No, they're not. Runway separation is provided to all aircraft at towered
fields and there is no separation provided to VFR aircraft in Class D
airspace, unless there is also a TRSA. If there is a TRSA it's not a VFR
Tower. What is your local Class D?

Old April 13th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Matt Barrow wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message
news

Sorry ... what's a VFR Tower?

Any tower that isn't at the main airport for class B or C.

What (if any) is the distinction?

(I'm thinking of the Phoenix area that has six or seven towers within the
Phoenix Class B)

There is only one Class B airport in the PHX Class B area.
Old April 13th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On 04/13/06 10:34, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

So what are these IFR services? When I'm flying an IAP to my local Class D
airport, I get handed-off to the tower controller, who stays with me
through
the rest of the approach, clearing me to land (if I get that far),
separating
me from VFR traffic using radar, etc.. Are these not IFR services?

No, they're not. Runway separation is provided to all aircraft at towered
fields and there is no separation provided to VFR aircraft in Class D
airspace, unless there is also a TRSA. If there is a TRSA it's not a VFR
Tower. What is your local Class D?

The airport I'm speaking about is Sacramento Executive (KSAC) (it is not
a TRSA). I didn't say separation of VFR traffic; I said separation between
me (IFR) and other VFR traffic.

So I can see what you're talking about, can you provide some examples of
IFR services provided by a Class C tower (say, Sacramento Intl, for example)
that are not provided by the Class D tower (KSAC, in this case)?

Again, I'm just trying to understand what make this Class D a VFR tower.

Thanks,