Ever have anything stolen from a plane?

Old October 6th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

Default Ever have anything stolen from a plane?

Just curious, has anyone ever had anything stolen from their plane
(i.e. portable GPS, headsets, etc.) while in the care of an FBO away
from your home field?

I am debating whether it's safer to leave my 396 in the plane, or take
it with me in a rental car that might be parked downtown, etc. I
highly suspect the plane is safer, but just wondering if anyone has any
history.

--Dan

Old October 6th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article . com,
"Dan" wrote:

Just curious, has anyone ever had anything stolen from their plane
(i.e. portable GPS, headsets, etc.) while in the care of an FBO away
from your home field?

I am debating whether it's safer to leave my 396 in the plane, or take
it with me in a rental car that might be parked downtown, etc. I
highly suspect the plane is safer, but just wondering if anyone has any
history.

--Dan

I had a pair of DC 10-30s and an intercom stolen from my plane at the
Moffett Open House in 1988.

Put the 496 in the luggage compartment, where it is out of sight, or
take it with you in the rental car for navigation reference.
Old October 6th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tony roberts[_1_]

I am debating whether it's safer to leave my 396 in the plane, or take
it with me . . .

Hi Dan

Take it with you.
At our airport break in's happen about once every 4 - 5 years.
At the last one I was still in partnership and my partner left our bag
in the plane. Journey log, C of A, Insurance, etc, etc,
Everything gone. What a nightmare trying to replace it.
It ain't worth it.

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old October 6th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Dan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just curious, has anyone ever had anything stolen from their plane
(i.e. portable GPS, headsets, etc.) while in the care of an FBO away
from your home field? [...]

Never. But then, I don't generally leave anything important in the airplane
(except airplane parts attached to the airplane, of course ).

That said, between getting something stolen from your plane and something
stolen from your rental car, I think it may be a toss-up, or slightly in
favor of leaving it with the airplane. Car break-ins are certainly more
common, and if the airplane is parked within view of the FBO office, and you
aren't leaving it overnight, that practically guarantees no theft. Even
leaving it out of sight and/or overnight, the odds of theft are low.

The best solution is to keep your valuables with you, or in a very secure
place (such as a locked safe in your hotel room, or in the hotel safe, or
some other trusted individual). Barring that, you just might be better off
leaving the GPS in the airplane (just make sure it's not visible through the
windows...that's just asking for it).

Pete

Old October 6th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tony roberts[_1_]

Agreed.
This is not choice "a" or choice "b"
You don't have to leave it in the rental car or the plane - take it with
you!

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old October 6th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

"Dan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just curious, has anyone ever had anything stolen from their plane
(i.e. portable GPS, headsets, etc.) while in the care of an FBO away
from your home field?

I am debating whether it's safer to leave my 396 in the plane, or take
it with me in a rental car that might be parked downtown, etc. I
highly suspect the plane is safer, but just wondering if anyone has any
history.

--Dan

The only thing I have lost are things that I have left in a rental and never
turned in by the next renter small stuff flash lights charts etc.

Here is a story about how a guy who lost an entire airplane?

One of my ferries was a repo. I meet up with the Private Investigator at
before the crack of dawn verify all the paper work was in order fresh ramp
annual "Ferry Permit" & Registration. I am given the keys that the lock
poper made the night before and a frequency other than Unicom to let him
know I am off and systems are a-ok and the flights a go, The PI calls the
local authorities to let them know about the repo so that there is no legal
ramifications for taking the plane and for when the owner call the
authorities they will explain it was repo'ed. I am then told to proceed to
the drop off location few hundred miles away! After landing the PI's people
are waiting plane get stuffed in to a hanger I fill out a piece of paper
about what works and dose not work yada yada yada and get paid put on a the
next airliner going my way and go home!

I Would have hated to be that guy! Wake up go to the airport to make his
flight home or wherever he was going and bird is gone! It was nice bird to
bad the owner was a deadbeat! The PI's found him because of his IFR flight
plans he was making regular trips and staying the weekend and parking in
transient parking. The PI's said if he had the airplane in a hanger they
would not be able to do anything since it was outside it was a sealed deal!

I have to say PI's pay very well $$$$$$ for 2 day's worth of work and the
excitement of what is equal to stealing an airplane in unknown condition
wich is a make and model you have never flow before is a rush in itself! I
also found out that not many airplanes get repo'ed that often I get a call
or 2 about some maybe upcoming repo's from the PI's recovery firm every few
mo's but most are airplanes that require a type cert to fly them wich sucks.
I wish I could afford some Type cert's!

Dam Ferrying airplanes is a fun business to be in lots of adventures in
aviation land and more to come!

I Still feel bad for the poor guy! I couldn't fathom the feelings he must
have felt going to the airport where he parked his plane and find it
missing!

Dam looks like I am again an active member of rec.aviation hahahahahaa!!!!

Old October 6th 06, 07:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

NW_Pilot wrote:

Dam Ferrying airplanes is a fun business to be in lots of adventures in
aviation land and more to come!

two questions out of curiosity:

- wouldn't you be concerned that the owner -- or soon to be ex-owner --
of an aircraft being repo'd might do something drastic like calling the
feds or hurting you (aren't there states where you are entitled to use
lethal force to protect your property?)?

- how do you get into this line of business? :-)

--Sylvain (commercial, ASEL, AMEL, IFR, can travel :-)
Old October 6th 06, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
NW_Pilot

"Sylvain" wrote in message
t...
NW_Pilot wrote:

Dam Ferrying airplanes is a fun business to be in lots of adventures in
aviation land and more to come!

two questions out of curiosity:

- wouldn't you be concerned that the owner -- or soon to be ex-owner --
of an aircraft being repo'd might do something drastic like calling the
feds or hurting you (aren't there states where you are entitled to use
lethal force to protect your property?)?

Nope, no worries usually the former owner don't know who I am and the PI
that I have done 2 of these for usually secures the area really well with
surveillance it's not like you see on movies. I also have copies of the
court orders allowing for recovery of the property that I carry in the
airplane.

- how do you get into this line of business? :-)

Lot's of hard work! It also helps to be straight forward with people,
ability to quickly adapt to new and unfamiliar aircraft, know how to work
under pressure and solve problems, Most of all knowing when to say NO and
walk away as there is some real trash out there!

--Sylvain (commercial, ASEL, AMEL, IFR, can travel :-)

Old October 6th 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

NW_Pilot wrote:
I have to say PI's pay very well $$$$$$ for 2 day's worth of work and the
excitement of what is equal to stealing an airplane in unknown condition
wich is a make and model you have never flow before is a rush in itself! I
also found out that not many airplanes get repo'ed that often I get a call
or 2 about some maybe upcoming repo's from the PI's recovery firm every few
mo's but most are airplanes that require a type cert to fly them wich sucks.
I wish I could afford some Type cert's!

I used to repo cars before I went to nursing school. There's one hell of a rush
in legally stealing cars. You haven't lived until you pop a pickup truck
decorated with NRA stickers with shotgun shells all over the floorboard. Dodge
engines seem to hate starting in the cold.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old October 6th 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

Dan wrote:

I am debating whether it's safer to leave my 396 in the plane, or take
it with me in a rental car that might be parked downtown, etc.

Take it with you, hide it in the trunk.